How to enrol in NSW public schools, designated enrolment areas, forms and general enrolment information.
General enrolment information
Many NSW Government schools have specific local enrolment areas. The designated intake areas are determined by the Department of Education. These schools ensure that there are enough places for students who reside in their local enrolment area.
Although preferable, designated local schools may not always be the closest public school to your home. Schools work with their local community to provide advice on public transport availability.
The Enrolment of Students in NSW Government Schools policy sets out the entitlements and requirements for enrolment. Additional information for parents (PDF 737.06KB) is available to explain recent changes to the enrolment policy.
Use School Finder to find your local NSW Government school. The school principal can help with enrolment inquiries throughout the year.
Schools may accept enrolments from outside their designated area if places are available. Such applications are subject to department policies.
Contact the school for further information. If the school is able to accommodate out-of-area enrolments, the school will advise you of any non-local enrolment selection criteria.
If the demand for local enrolment exceeds the number of places available, out-of-area enrolments will not be available.
The department collects information to ensure a smooth enrolment process.
All public schools and personnel of the Department of Education must abide by the Privacy and Personal Information Protection Act 1998 (NSW). The information you provide will be used to process your child's application for enrolment and for associated purposes such as:
- general student administration
- communication with students and parents or carers
- state and federal reporting purposes
- to ensure the health and safety of students, staff and visitors to the school
- for other matters relating to the education and welfare of the student
- for any other purpose required by law.
The information will be stored securely. You may access or correct any personal information by contacting the school. If you have a concern or complaint about the way your personal information has been collected, used, or disclosed, you may contact the school.
By law we must ensure the health and safety of students, staff and visitors on our premises. To facilitate this, a student's health information is collected through the Application to enrol form. Please provide detailed information about any medical conditions such as allergies, including anaphylactic reactions.
The health-related information is subject to the Health Records and Information Privacy Act 2002. It may be used and disclosed to medical practitioners, health workers, other government departments and/or schools.
The information you provide will assist the school to communicate with you and care for your child while at school.
Parents' occupations and education information
All Australian Education Ministers have agreed on National Goals for Schooling in the Twenty-First Century which state achievement of students should not be affected by discrimination based on sex, language, culture and ethnicity, religion or disability - or by differences arising from social and economic background or geographic location.
All parents across Australia are asked to provide information about family background. We use the information to evaluate whether our policies are effective and to ensure that no group is experiencing undue disadvantage.
Providing information about your occupation and education is voluntary, but your information will help us to ensure the best educational outcomes for your child.
If the information on the 'Application to enrol' is found to be false or misleading it may affect the result of your application.
Download the Application to enrol in NSW Government schools form (PDF 768.4KB) for students from Kindergarten to Year 12.
The application form must be completed in English. However, a translated application to enrol may help you to fill out the form in English.
To learn more about the collection of information, see the collection notice (PDF 339.18KB).
Online enrolment program
We are trialling a new online enrolment process to make it easier and faster to enrol your child at your local school.
To apply online, you must:
- be an Australian or New Zealand citizen or permanent resident
- live in the local enrolment area of the school for which you are submitting an application.
Schools currently trialling are:
- Albion Park Public School
- Albion Park Rail Public School
- Avoca Beach Public School
- Bankstown Public School
- Bankstown West Public School
- Barrack Heights Public School
- Baulkham Hills North Public School
- Bella Vista Public School
- Brisbania Public School
- Burnside Public School
- Carlingford Public School
- Carlingford West Public School
- Castle Hill Public School
- Cherrybrook Public School
- Chipping Norton Public School
- Copacabana Public School
- Crestwood Public School
- Dapto Public School
- Dundas Public School
- Dural Public School
- Eastwood Public School
- Empire Bay Public School
- Epping West Public School
- Ermington West Public School
- Ettalong Public School
- Excelsior Public School
- Georges Hall Public School
- Glenhaven Public School
- Guyra Central School
- Hammondville Public School
- Holgate Public School
- Jasper Road Public School
- John Purchase Public School
- Kincumber Public School
- Matthew Pearce Public School
- Milperra Public School
- Mount Warrigal Public School
- Murray Farm Public School
- Newbridge Heights Public School
- North Rocks Public School
- Nuwarra Public School
- Oakhill Drive Public School
- Oatlands Public School
- Pretty Beach Public School
- Rooty Hill Public School
- Roselea Public School
- Rydalmere East Public School
- Rydalmere Public School
- Samuel Gilbert Public School
- St Marys North Public School
- Telopea Public School
- Terrigal Public School
- Tullimbar Public School
- Umina Beach Public School
- Villawood East Public School
- Warilla Public School
- Wattawa Heights Public School
- Wattle Grove Public School
- Winston Heights Public School
- Winston Hills Public School
- Woodport Public School
- Woy Woy Public School
Protocols for school closures, recess or amalgamation
Local consultation with parents, staff and the community guides decisions about any school closures, recess or amalgamation. For more information, read the protocols (DOCX 81KB)