High school enrolment
Every child is entitled to be enrolled at the government school that is designated for the intake area within which the child's home is situated, and that the child is eligible to attend.
Primary schools manage the annual Year 6 to 7 transition into high school process using the Department's online enrolment system.
High schools can assist with enrolment enquiries throughout the year.
Moving into high school is an important process managed by your child's primary school.
Year 7 enrolments
The Year 6 to Year 7 transition expression of interest process takes place during Year 6.
During the enrolment process, advise the principal of any special circumstances, allergies, health or medical conditions affecting the student.
For new students choosing a high school is an important decision. For more information about secondary school options, visit high schools.
- Visit temporary residents program for an assessment of eligibility and forms to complete
- Currently enrolled temporary residents should contact your local school to obtain and submit an expression of interest - Year 7
- The high school will contact you with further information.
- Your child's primary school will provide instructions about the Expression of Interest process in Term 1 2024. Parents will submit an expression of interest online or on paper, indicating the chosen high school for Year 7.
- Selective high school key dates to assist parents/carers making application for their children into selective high schools.
- The high school may conduct a risk assessment and will contact you with further information.
Years 8 to 12 enrolments
Parents of students in Years 8 to 12 should contact the high school to discuss your child's potential enrolment and required procedures, including a possible risk assessment.
- Contact the temporary residents program for an assessment of eligibility and forms to complete.
- Contact the high school to make an appointment to discuss your child's potential enrolment.
Children with disability or special learning needs
The department provides a range of enrolment and support options for children with disability or special learning needs. This includes additional support for children in their local school as well as specialist support classes located in some regular schools and in schools for specific purposes (SSPs or special schools).
Discuss additional support in your child's local school as well as support class and SSP placement with the principal of your local school.
For more information or to discuss assessment of your child's needs, call the educational services team on 131 536.
Complete the application to enrol (PDF 768.4KB) for NSW public schools, kindergarten to year 12. Schools will advise the outcome of your application.
Application forms must be completed in English. However, a translated application to enrol may help you to fill out the form in English.
To learn more about information collected, visit general information.