Teacher subsidies, allowances and bonuses

Your relevant award forms the basis of your pay. However, some roles, locations, and situations offer additional compensation or support.

Rental subsidy

In general, teachers are expected to find their own accommodation. However, teachers serving in country areas often have difficulty finding suitable accommodation. To assist them, the Teacher Housing Authority (THA) maintains a number of houses and villa units throughout the state at market rental rates.

The department provides rental subsidies to those teachers in eight-point, six-point and four-point incentive schools who are either living in THA accommodation or who are eligible for THA accommodation and have been unsuccessful in obtaining that accommodation and are required to rent privately.

The rental subsidy paid is 90 per cent for teachers at eight-point schools, 70 per cent for teachers at six-point schools and 50 per cent for teachers in four-point incentive schools. Conditions apply and teachers should refer to the rental subsidy information sheet (DOC 173KB) for full details before submitting an application.

Locality allowance

If you are appointed to one of these eligible schools (PDF 0.09MB), you are eligible for payment of a locality allowance (climatic disability, isolation from socio-economic goods and services or motor vehicle).

As the rate of locality allowance is dependent upon a teacher's personal circumstances, it cannot be paid to you automatically. You must apply for payment of a locality allowance.

You may also be entitled to an allowance in respect of vacation travel expenses and/or for reimbursement of certain expenses related to medical or dental treatment. For a claim form, please ask at your school or contact employee services.

Relocation subsidy

On first employment or re-employment, permanent teachers are not eligible for the provisions of the transferred officers compensation determination. Instead, teachers appointed to eligible schools (DOCX 0.03MB) may be entitled to a relocation subsidy when it is necessary for them to leave their existing residence.

Recruitment bonus

A $10,000 recruitment bonus payment can be paid for successful appointments to teaching roles where two consecutive merit selection processes have been unsuccessful. It can be paid to teachers who are permanently appointed to hard-to-fill positions at 6-and 8-point listed and Connected Communities schools. The teacher needs to be engaged for four terms or more at the listed school to be eligible to receive the bonus. Since January 2018, this includes temporary teachers.

If the teacher leaves the position before the end of the engagement they will only be eligible to be paid part of the bonus, proportional to the time they were in the position. For example, if the engagement is for four terms and the teacher leaves after two terms the teacher would only be eligible for a bonus of $5,000.

More information is available in the Recruitment Bonus Procedure (DOCX 85.61KB) (staff only).

Remote school retention benefit

Teachers and principals with 12 months or more of continuous service working at remote schools and remote Connected Communities incentive schools may be eligible for an annual $5,000 retention benefit payment. The retention benefit will be paid to eligible teachers for up to 10 years.

To be eligible for retention benefit teachers and principals will need to:

  • Be permanently employed, either in a full-time or part-time teaching role
  • Work in one of the remote schools or remote Connected Community schools with at least 12 months continuous service
  • Achieve satisfactory compliance with the department?s performance development program.

More details are available in the Retention Benefit Procedure (DOCX 85.61KB) (staff only).

Transferred officer's compensation

Permanent teachers appointed to a new location who are required to move residence may be entitled to compensation under the Determination for Transferred Officers Compensation (PDF 0.1MB).

Transferred officer means an officer who has been appointed to a new location for an indefinite period of time (other than from one part of the Sydney metropolitan area to another) and as a consequence of that appointment find it necessary to leave their existing residence and to take up a new residence. Transferred officer's compensation does not include an officer on first employment, re-employment or transferred at their own request. Transferred officers are subject to the appointment, service and distance requirements of Clause 1(u) of the determination. The Teacher Recruitment team determines eligibility for compensation on appointment.

Return to top of page Back to top