Further support for in-school mentors
These resources support in-school mentors and provide effective practice-focused support to beginning teachers.
Teaching standards in action (TSA) courses
There are two TSA courses at the highly accomplished career stage to support practice-focused mentors:
- Coaching for classroom change
This course focuses on the principles and techniques of coaching and helps participants fully integrate expert teaching approaches into their colleague's practice.
- Designing lessons with colleagues
This course helps participants build their colleagues' capacity to design effective lessons. It focuses on designing a coaching plan, engaging colleagues in effective professional development, classroom observations and constructive feedback.
The coaching resources of the Australian Institute of Teaching and School Leadership (AITSL) also explore the concept of coaching and the common themes of successful coaching programs. It includes a coaching toolkit for teachers, supporting them as mentors in school-based induction programs.
- Setting up induction
- Developing focus:
- Refining practice
- Gaining proficient accreditation.
- Beginning Teachers Support Funding Policy
- Human Resource information for school teachers
- Department-wide induction for new teachers
- Department-wide induction for principals and school executive