Mandatory pre-requisites for pre-service teachers
To be eligible to complete a professional experience placement in a NSW public school you must:
- complete the following requirements
- ensure that the completion dates are current
- present the completed certificates and your signed Pre-service teacher acknowledgement to the school prior to or on the first day of your professional experience placement.
1: Working With Children Check Declaration for Child-Related Work – Tertiary Practicum Students
In addition to completing a Working with Children Check (WWCC), you must also have this WWCC verified by the Department of Education before your first placement.
To have your WWCC verified with the Department you must:
- Complete the Tertiary Practicum Student Application form (ensuring you attach your identification documents)
- Verify your application by clicking confirm on the email received once the form is submitted.
Note: You will receive an email confirmation once your WWCC has been verified by the Probity Unit. The verification process may take more than 10 days.
You will also need to present photo ID on your first day of professional experience.
If you are a pre-service teacher completing an internship you require a paid WWCC (number will end in an E). A factsheet is available for further information
2: Child Protection Awareness Training (CPAT)
To access this training:
- Request external access to MyPL (the Department’s professional learning platform) to obtain a user name and password
- Once registered in MyPL select the quick link “Child Protection Awareness Training”
3: Mandatory Child Protection Training
Once CPAT has been completed, the Child Protection Update is to be completed annually.
To access this training, log into your MyPL account and select the quick link “Child Protection Update” (for the current year)
4: ASCIA-Anaphylaxis e-training course
6. Vaccination guidelines
- The departments policy regarding COVID-19 vaccinations has been updated and removes the vaccination requirement for employees from 1 August 2022, with some exceptions. These exceptions include department staff working at or visiting schools for specific purposes (SSPs), who must be double vaccinated with an approved COVID-19 vaccine, or hold a valid medical contraindication – this includes corporate and department staff.
- Further information can be found at https://education.nsw.gov.au/covid-19/advice-for-families