On demand and pre-booked interpreting services are available.
The Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS) can be used by schools if the assignment meets the Interpreting and translations guidelines (staff only) (PDF 313KB).
On demand interpreting
Schools call TIS on 131 450 to request a common language interpreter when needed. Instructions for using the National Contact Centre and the languages available can be found on the TIS – phone interpreting page.
- Provide the school’s details and department client code, found in the Interpreting and translations guidelines (staff only) (PDF 313KB) or by phoning 9244 5311.
Pre-book a telephone interpreter when a language is not common or when required at a specific time, such as a meeting with a teacher.
- Provide the school’s details and department client code, found in the Interpreting and translations guidelines (staff only) (PDF 313KB).
- Accurately indicate the start and end time of a pre-booked call. Note – you are charged for the time requested even if the call ends early.
- Confirmation of bookings should be received within 48 hours.
- If you don't receive confirmation of your booking, contact TIS – pre-booked phone interpreter bookings on 1300 655 081
- Follow the instructions on your confirmation notice when making the call.
National Relay Service
Use the National Relay Service to assist communiation with the deaf or those with a speech impairment.
For more information contact the National Relay Service helpdesk on 1800 555 660, Monday to Friday between 8am and 6pm.