All diagnostic tasks – mathematics Stage 1
Mathematics Stage 1 diagnostic tasks can be used by teachers to generate a snapshot of student learning aligned to syllabus expectations at Stage 1.
This information may assist teachers in tailoring teaching and learning experiences to more effectively meet students’ needs.
Measurement and geometry
- 2D space – Drawing diagrams from descriptions
- 2D space – Guess my shape
- 3D shape – sort and classify
- Area – Which shape has the larger area?
- Length – shorter and longer companion task
- Length – Which line is longer?
- Length – Who wins?
- Mass – balance it
- Position – Ninja warriors course
- Time – Comparing how long it takes
- Time – representing weeks, months and seasons
- Volume and capacity – calibrating bottles
- Volume and capacity – pour and order
- Volume and capacity – Bella's building
Number and algebra
- Addition and subtraction – target number add or subtract
- Fractions and decimals – halves and quarters
- Addition and subtraction – What's the difference?
- Multiplication and division – birds in the playground
- Multiplication and division – cats on a mat
- Multiplication and division – Sharing counters in rows
- Multiplication and division – Sharing stickers
- Multiplication and division – teddy bears in the cupboard
- Patterns and algebra – How many patterns?
- Patterns and algebra – What numbers are missing?
- Whole number – creating 20
- Whole number - tell me all you know about 10
Syllabus outcomes and content descriptors from Mathematics K-10 Syllabus © NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA) for and on behalf of the Crown in right of the State of New South Wales, 2012