Mental health and wellbeing

Practical advice and information to learn more about mental health, help your child and care for your wellbeing.

Immediate help

Having a tough time and need support right now? Help is available. Access confidential, 24/7 support.

Mental health and wellbeing support in schools

At every school, there are people you and your child can talk to should they ever have a problem.

Your child’s classroom teacher in primary school or year advisor in high school are always willing to listen and help. There are other teaching staff with wellbeing responsibilities such as Head Teacher Wellbeing or Assistant Principal who you can talk to.

Every NSW public school has access to the School Counselling Service. High skilled cchool counsellors and school psychologists have qualifications in psychology and work specifically with young people to provide extra advice and support. Information about the School Counselling Service is available in over 35 languages.

Some high schools may have a Student Support Officer (SSO). SSOs are qualified youth workers or social workers work closely with the School Counselling Service and the wellbeing team to ensure students get the help they need to deal with anxiety, stress, or any difficult issue they may be facing.

Some schools have access to service of a Wellbeing Nurse. A Wellbeing Nurse is a registered nurse who works across a number of schools to help connect students and families with health and community services.

A School Chaplain or Student Wellbeing Officer may also provide support at a school. School Chaplains and Student Wellbeing Officers are there to support the emotional wellbeing of students and the broader school community through the provision of pastoral care services.

Watch this video with your child to learn about all the different people in a primary school they can speak to for mental health and wellbeing support


Your class teacher is always a great person to start with. If you are feeling sad, worried, unsafe or concerned about anything happening at school and in the playground, at home or outside of school, they want to hear what you have to say and find a way to help you.

You can also speak with other teachers, your school librarian, your principal, and the staff in the front office.

Your school might also have a Wellbeing Nurse, Student Wellbeing Officer or a Student Support Officer. All of these people will listen to your problems and if they think you need more help, they will find the best person for you.

All students, who go to New South Wales public schools from Kindergarten to Year 12, can also speak to someone from the school counselling service.

In your primary school, your school counsellor or school psychologist is someone who can sit with and just speak to you about things you want to talk about, or they may organise a small group to share tips and ideas important to all students.

If you don’t know who your school counsellor or school psychologist is, ask your teacher and they can introduce you.

So, you can see, there are lots of different people at your school that you can talk to – about anything.

When it comes to looking after yourself, you don’t have to do it on your own. You are important to all the teachers and other staff in your school. There is always someone there for you. So, when you need help, be sure to let them know.

[End of transcript]

Find out about all the people who support mental health and wellbeing of students in high school


At every school there are people you can talk to should you ever have a problem. It doesn’t matter how big or small that problem might feel to you. They’re there to help.

How about we go meet some of them?

Your teacher is always willing to listen and help. If they feel they are not the best person to help, they will know someone who can.

Your year adviser can also support you. They can help if you are having problems with friends and managing your school work. They can also connect you with other people who can help.

If your school has a wellbeing head teacher, or a WHIN Coordinator, you can also speak with them. They will work with you to decide who you want to talk to about whatever is going on. They’re there to support you.

There may also be a student support officer in your school who runs wellbeing programs with groups of students to help everyone feel and stay connected. They’re there to listen to you and figure out the best way to help you. If you need specialist help, they can organise that for you, too.

Public school students right across New South Wales, from Kindergarten to Year 12, can speak to a school counsellor or school psychologist. These staff have qualifications in psychology and work specifically with young people to provide extra advice and support. You can talk to them about all sorts of problems, and they can help you to understand, and manage, your thoughts and feelings. Some students talk to them when they are feeling sad, or anxious, but others just want some good advice on learning how to cope with things.

So, as you can see, there are lots of different people at your school that you can talk to. Because when it comes to looking after your mental health and wellbeing, you don’t have to do it on your own.

[End of transcript]

Mental health resources

Ways you can help your child with their mental health.

Resources for parents and carers to support their own mental health.

Resources to help you learn more about mental health.

  • Department of Education: Wellbeing services – Self-care is important for everyone. At your fingertips, you have many phone contacts, agencies, websites and apps to help you. You can also download a printable version of all these resources.
  • ReachOut: Parents ReachOut provides a large range of information and advice for parents to support their children and themselves.
  • Parent Line: Parenting a Child with a DisabilityParent Line NSW provides support and advice for parents of children with a disability
  • Head to HealthHead to Health is an Australian government website. It includes details on a range of trusted mental health service providers.

Supporting your child after a natural disaster

Find Information for family and friends supporting young people affected by a natural disaster on the headspace website.

Other ways to get support


  • Student management and wellbeing


  • Mental health
  • School life
  • Support

Business Unit:

  • Inclusion and Wellbeing
Return to top of page Back to top