Guide to picture books in geography K–10
A guide to support you to integrate picture books into your geography teaching and programming.
This guide to using picture books in geography K–10 aims to:
- promote and explain the value of using picture books in K–10 geography teaching for developing geographical concepts, skills, knowledge and understandings
- encourage K–10 teachers to integrate picture books to enhance their geography teaching and programming as a geographical tool, stimulus material and/or resource
- provide examples of geography teaching and learning activities based around specific core picture books thoughtfully selected for their geographical and literary value
- offer examples of creative geography teaching and learning strategies that enable students to work and think geographically
- recommend a comprehensive list of stage related, syllabus linked picture books as a resource for use in geography teaching and learning
- inspire teachers to seek out and share picture books that add enjoyment to and enhance students’ geographical experiences.
Syllabus outcomes and content descriptors from Geography K-10 (2012) Syllabus © NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA) for and on behalf of the Crown in right of the State of New South Wales, 2012