Frequently asked questions

Who can enrol a student in a NSW public school?

The agency responsible for the student’s case management. Going to a Public School outlines the process.

Who can make decisions on behalf of students in statutory Out of Home Care (OOHC)?

The Checklist for Schools (June 2021) helps identify who is responsible for making decisions.

What is case management?

The process of assessment, planning, implementation, monitoring and review. Case management aims to strengthen outcomes for families and students. It includes personalised learning and support planning developed for the student.

The school will be informed when student case management responsibility is transferred to an agency. If the NSW Department of Communities and Justice (DCJ – formerly FACS) retains case management responsibility, they make all decisions that the carer cannot.

Who arranges placements for students in statutory Out of Home Care?

The NSW Department of Communities and Justice (DCJ – formerly FACS) provide direct out of home care placements and contract other non-government organisations to do so.

What supports are available for students in Out of Home Care?

OOHC Change Funding will commence from Week 1 Term 4, 2019. It is short-term, streamlined funding for students entering or in statutory OOHC, to counter changes that may affect their learning, wellbeing or access to the curriculum.

Staff with expertise in out of home care, attendance, behaviour, counselling, early intervention, hearing, vision, integration, learning assistance, disability and transition may also support students. Some schools have Aboriginal education and community liaison officers.

Many schools have mentoring, tutoring, and peer support programs.

What is compulsory schooling?

The education of children has been compulsory in NSW for over 100 years, reflecting the vital role that schools play in children’s overall development and wellbeing.

Parents and carers of children from Kindergarten through to Year 12 are responsible for ensuring their child attends school. All children between the ages of six years and below the minimum school leaving age of 17 are legally required to attend school.

After Year 10, until they turn 17, students must be:

  • in school, or registered for home schooling, or
  • in approved education or training (eg TAFE, traineeship, apprenticeship) or
  • in full-time, paid employment (average 25 hours/week) or
  • in a combination of work, education and/or training.

Where can carers get further advice about educating students?

Carers can contact the school for information or advice about support for students in out of home care, and their families, in matters relating to a student's education and wellbeing needs.

Mandatory Reporter Guide (MRG)

If you are concerned about the safety of a student you are encouraged to use the Mandatory Reporter Guide.

The guide helps determine whether you should make a report to the Child Protection Helpline, or identify alternative ways to support vulnerable children in cases of abuse or neglect.


  • Student management and wellbeing

Business Unit:

  • Inclusion and Wellbeing
Return to top of page Back to top