Healthy preschool routines
Help your child create healthy routines and habits before they start school, from eating a nutritious breakfast every morning to getting a good night's rest.
A good start
A nutritious breakfast will help set your child up to have the best day possible at preschool. It will help them to concentrate and give them energy to play. It will also help them develop good eating patterns for the rest of their life.
Walking safely to and from preschool
- Always hold your child’s hand.
- If your hands aren’t available, insist your child holds the pram, your bag or your clothes.
- Always cross the road at the safest place. Use pedestrian crossings, refuges and traffic lights, even if you have to walk further.
- Use footpaths and be alert to vehicles entering or exiting driveways.
- Only let go of your child’s hand when you’re safely inside the preschool grounds.
Driving safely to and from from preschool
- Always get in and out of the ‘safety door’ (the rear left door closest to the footpath).
- Always buckle your child up correctly in an approved child restraint or booster seat that is right for their age and size, even if you’re in a hurry.
- Drive and park legally, even if it means parking further away and walking the rest of the way to preschool.
- Keep hold of your child’s hand in the carpark, and when entering and exiting the car, abiding by school signs.
Share this information with your child’s carers such as grandparents, nannies and friends who may take your child to and from preschool.
A good night's sleep
Children need a good sleep each night to be able to cope with the adventures and fun of preschool. NSW Health recommends preschoolers (aged 3-5 years) get 10 to 13 hours of good quality sleep, which may include naps. They should also have consistent sleep and wake-up times.
A good sleep will help your child to:
- pay attention and concentrate
- problem solve and think of new ideas
- engage in plage enjoy their day.
Did you know?
The preschool will ask you to sign your child in on arrival and out on departure every day. Make sure you sign this register, which you can usually find at the preschool entrance.