How do I apply?
To apply for assisted school travel, parents must complete Part A of the application form and submit it to the school.
Supporting documents such as medical certificates, car mechanic reports or TAFE and university timetables may be required.
Student application journey
- School and parents complete application, variation or change request form
- School principal makes recommendation
- ASTP Central Processing team:
- checks all documents are included
- checks all details are provided
- contacts parents to conduct a phone interview with follow-up information (ASTP's phone number will appear as a private number)
- Application sent to ASTP Logistics and Education teams for assessment and decision
- Application: parent advised by letter, school sent run card
- Variation/change request: school advised.
The diagram below illustrates the student application journey:
Who approves applications and organises assisted school travel?
The school lodges your application for assessment and processing by ASTP. Where possible, ASTP will do this within seven (7) working days and you will be advised in writing of the outcome.
If travel is approved, ASTP will organise the transport arrangements for your child. Before transport commences the contractor/driver will contact you regarding pick up and drop off times to and from your child's school.
Once transport is approved, drivers cannot transport students to alternate addresses without prior approval from the ASTP.
Transport requests for National Disability Insurance Scheme funded services before or after school ? such as respite, therapy, or community access ? should be discussed first with the student's National Disability Insurance Agency planner.
What can I do if my application is not approved?
Contact the school in the first instance to discuss the reasons why your application was not approved.
Schools and parents can then seek advice from ASTP. Parents may lodge an appeal to the ASTP using the Appeals Panel Request form (PDF 89.1KB).
The completed form must be scanned and emailed with any supporting documentation to email@example.com.
Refer to the key dates to find out when the appeal forms are due and the dates of the panel meetings.