Review into the non-educational use of mobile devices in NSW schools
The independent review into the non-educational use of mobile digital devices in NSW schools is complete and NSW has taken action to address its recommendations.
A new policy governing student use of digital devices and online services will apply in all NSW public schools from 2020. The new policy includes the digital device restriction for primary schools announced by the NSW Government in December 2018 in response to the review. Under the new policy, secondary schools retain discretion to opt into the restriction or implement the approach that best suits their circumstances and the needs of their diverse communities.
The Department's Digital Citizenship platform provides advice, conversation starters and learning resources for students, teachers, parents and carers. It has recently been updated to include new content about the safe, responsible and respectful use of technology.
The NSW Government is finalising its response to the other recommendations and findings made in the review report.
Find out more about our response
A new digital technology policy will be released for NSW public school in 2020. It covers student use of smartphones, smartwatches, tablets, laptops and any other device that allows connectivity to the internet and applications.
The policy builds upon the important work in schools teaching young people to use digital technology in safe, responsible and respectful ways as we prepare students for life beyond the classroom.
Each school will work with their students and local communities to implement the new arrangements. Schools will be expected to update their existing school procedure or develop a new one during 2020 to reflect the new requirements.
The Department's Digital Citizenship platform provides information and support for schools and has been updated to reflect the new policy and includes new content.
Download the new policy
- Student Use of Digital Devices and Online Services guide
- Implementation Guide: Student Use of Digital Devices and Online Services Policy
- Customise your own school procedure with an online form (requires NSW Department of Education login)
- Sample school procedure (DOCX 47.43KB)
- Digital Devices Student Workshop
- NESA Accredited Digital Devices and Online Services PL on MYPL
- Parent Information presentation (PPTX 3.3MB)
- Frequently asked questions (PDF 670.12KB)
- Key terms used in the policy (PDF 127.12KB)
- Different ways that schools manage devices (PDF 164.82KB)
- What Safe, Responsible and Respectful use means to students (PDF 1395.85KB)
- Classroom poster - Benefits and challenges (JPG 1351.98KB)
- Classroom poster - Striking the right balance (JPG 1185.39KB)
- Classroom poster - Shared responsibility (JPG 1712.07KB)
Relevant legal issues
The Department maintains legal issues bulletins with important legal information for schools. In relation to digital devices and online services at schools, principals and teachers should be aware of all relevant legal issues bulletins, including bulletins 8, 35 and 56.
If you have any enquiries about the policy, including requests for information in accessible formats, please email email@example.com.
Tell us how we did with the New digital device policy for schools