The Schools Primary Feeder report provides information on what the feeder primary schools are for a secondary school.
This report is available to schools.
How will this report benefit me?
Users can view the feeder schools for a high school, including non-government primary schools. School staff can use this information to understand where enrolments in a project high school are coming from.
What does the Primary Feeder report provide?
The following visualisations are available in this report:
Top Feeder Primary Schools
- This column chart displays the top 10 primary feeder schools for the selected high school. Note that there may be more than 10 schools in the list where 2 or more schools are equal 10th.
- 10 years of historical data will eventually be included, however the earliest year displayed is 2011. This is due to unavailability of high-quality data prior to this year.
- Non-government schools are included where known.
- Some schools and years have a column labelled “unknown”. This means the students came from interstate/overseas primary schools, or they did not do the NAPLAN 5 assessment, so a prior record has not been found for them. For example schools near the border with another state will have a large unknown component. This indicates the commencing Y7 students went to primary schools in the state across the border. Due to privacy reasons we only receive NAPLAN data for NSW.
School contribution %
- This doughnut chart displays all known primary schools that contributed students to the selected high school.
- Non-government schools are included where known. This is based on NAPLAN 5 and 7 data, i.e. for students at the selected secondary school, the school they attended for NAPLAN 5 is listed.
- Click on the Focus Mode button on the top right-hand corner to expand the chart and view all schools.
Year 5 Feeder Schools
- This table displays all known contributor primary schools with the number of students that came from each school.
- The total at the bottom of the table equals the number of students who commenced at the selected high school in the selected year.
Use the following slicers to filter and analyse the data:
- School Name – Choose a school in this slicer first. This will select the local area to analyse.
- Year 7 Enrolment Year – use this slicer to select a cohort, i.e. the students who commenced Kindergarten in the selected calendar year.
What should I look for?
- Are high school principals enrolling more out-of-zone students than they should? Many students coming from far-off primary schools could show this.
- Is the project high school getting many secondary enrolments from non-government primary schools?
- Are there any schools that are increasing or decreasing the number of students they contribute? If there have been no boundary changes this may indicate a change of parental choice.
- The “unknown” component is made up of students who were not enrolled in NSW in year 5 (either out of state or outside Australia), and students who were enrolled in a NSW non-government school and did not do the NAPLAN 5 assessment.
Where does this data come from?
- Annual enrolment census.
- NAPLAN – school where a student sat the Y5 and Y7 assessments.
How frequently is data updated?
- Historical enrolments are updated annually after the Enrolment census is completed in August.
- NAPLAN data is updated annually after NAPLAN results are released.