Use combined forces to knock down a block tower
STEM activity - How can I design a series of events that use a combination of forces to knock over a 50cm block tower?
This engaging and fun STEM challenge activity:
- involves students working collaboratively to design a system to solve a simple challenge question in a most complicated way
- introduces teachers to STEM and cross-curricular planning
- is a concise, four-part series of lessons which may be delivered over two days
- may be a component of a broader science and technology study of contact and non-contact forces
- addresses outcomes from both the mathematics and science and technology syllabus documents.
- apply their understanding of forces affecting movement and the transfer of energy from one object to another
- draw on prior knowledge of methods of data collection and data displays to interpret and demonstrate the effectiveness of their design solution.