The following resources are used to support EAL/D teaching and learning.
- English as an additional language or dialect - Advice for schools (PDF 962KB) provides advice for the operation and management of EAL/D programs.
- The ESL Scales (PDF 521KB) resource is used by teachers as an assessment tool to describe the English language development of EAL/D learners in oral interaction, reading and responding and writing. Teachers use this tool to assist with assessment for learning, planning, programming and reporting progress.
- ESL Steps: ESL Curriculum Framework K-6 is an ESL Scales referenced planning and programming tool for teachers of EAL/D students in primary schools. The stage based teaching guides provide a framework for EAL/D teaching and learning based on a social view of language.
- As part of the ACARA EAL/D teacher resource, the EAL/D Learning Progression provides descriptors of four phases of English language proficiency. This advice is used to determine school RAM allocations.
- A range of resources have been developed to assist with the explicit teaching of literacy and numeracy skills to EAL/D learners. This includes information on the EAL/D enhanced teaching and learning cycle, resources to support students with the HSC minimum standard and links to targeted professional learning.
- Intensive English language programs are based on the Intensive English Programs (IEP) Curriculum Framework. The curriculum framework provides a text-based approach for explicitly teaching English through key learning/subject areas. High school subject areas are adapted for second language learners to prepare them for high school. The IEP Curriculum Framework has four levels of intensive English language development (staff only): Foundation Level (PDF 1.2MB), Level 1 (PDF 1.4MB), Level 2 (PDF 1.4MB) and Level 3 (PDF 1.4MB).
ESL Readers - A series of interactive stories and games for EAL/D students who are in the early stages of learning English. There are three animated stories and all three titles have a separate teachers resource, which is available in 22 different languages.
- Sick at school
- A mysterious meeting
- Mandy's bad day
- Picture dictionary for ESL Beginners
- Thematic Picture Dictionary (PDF 2.4MB)
- Thematic Picture Dictionary Workbook (PDF 7.9MB)
- ESL Numeracy: Number
Bilingual dictionaries – A teaching and learning resource for use by students in the first 12 to 18 months of English language acquisition.