The following resources are used to support EAL/D teaching and learning.
- English as an additional language or dialect - Advice for schools (PDF 962KB) provides advice for the operation and management of EAL/D programs.
- The ESL Scales (PDF 521KB) resource is used by teachers as an assessment tool to describe the English language development of EAL/D learners in oral interaction, reading and responding and writing. Teachers use this tool to assist with assessment for learning, planning, programming and reporting progress.
- ESL Steps: ESL Curriculum Framework K-6 is an ESL Scales referenced planning and programming tool for teachers of EAL/D students in primary schools. The stage based teaching guides provide a framework for EAL/D teaching and learning based on a social view of language.
- As part of the ACARA EAL/D teacher resource, the EAL/D Learning Progression provides descriptors of four phases of English language proficiency. This advice is used to determine school RAM allocations.
- Intensive English Programs Curriculum Framework: Secondary (coming soon).
Out and About - A series of interactive literacy resource readers for EAL/D beginners with first language support in Arabic, Dari and Dinka.
ESL Readers - A series of interactive stories and games for EAL/D students who are in the early stages of learning English. There are three animated stories and all three titles have a separate teachers resource, which is available in 22 different languages.
- Sick at school
- A mysterious meeting
- Mandy's bad day
- Picture dictionary for ESL Beginners
- Thematic Picture Dictionary (PDF 2.4MB)
- Thematic Picture Dictionary Workbook (PDF 7.9MB)
- ESL Numeracy: Number
Bilingual dictionaries – A teaching and learning resource for use by students in the first 12 to 18 months of English language acquisition.