New Arrivals Program

The English as an addition language New Arrivals Program (NAP) provides initial, on-arrival intensive English tuition for newly arrived students at the beginning and emerging levels of English language proficiency. Support is provided to newly arrived students in primary schools, high schools and Intensive English Centres in order to develop their English language skills so that they are able to participate in learning with their peers in mainstream classes.

Access to NAP support

Students in Year 6 and high school in the Sydney metropolitan and Wollongong areas should be referred to their local Intensive English Centre (IEC) or Intensive English high school (IEHS).

To apply for an EAL New Arrivals Program teacher allocation, schools must provide student information including residency status, visa subclass, date of arrival in Australia, language spoken at home as well as country of birth.

Eligible new arrivals are those who:

  • speak a language other than English as their first language
  • are in need of intensive English tuition because they are at the Beginning or Emerging phase of English language proficiency
  • are newly arrived in Australia (enrolling in school within 6 months of arrival in Australia or, for Kindergarten students, within 18 months)
  • are enrolling in an Australian school for the first time, or transferring within 6 months
  • are Australian citizens returning from two years or more overseas, or are permanent residents or are temporary visa holders with an Authority to Enrol (ATE) issued by the Temporary Residents Program. The Schedule of Visa Subclasses and Enrolment Conditions lists those visa that may require an Authority to Enrol or payment of an education fee prior to enrolment proceeding. Go to the Temporary Residents Program for the schedule and more information.

Some categories of temporary visa holders are not eligible to receive EAL New Arrivals Program support. Schools need to check eligibility in the Schedule of Visa Subclasses and Enrolment Conditions within the Temporary Residents Program.

An application for EAL New Arrivals Program teaching support (XLS 179KB) must be completed and emailed to

Please note this application does not meet WCAG 2.0 requirements. Contact us if you require an accessible format.


Information on how to enrol temporary visa holders and permanent residents is provided through DE International. Most students holding temporary visas are required to pay the temporary residents education fee and must obtain an Authority to Enrol. For conditions applying to international students (holders of student visa 571P) refer to procedures and eligibility for enrolment of international students.

A translated version of the Application to enrol in a NSW Government school (PDF 580KB) will assist parents/carers in understanding enrolment requirements.

Return to top of page Back to top