Explicit teaching practices involve teachers clearly showing students what to do and how to do it, rather than having students discover that information themselves. Students who experience explicit teaching practices make greater learning gains than students who do not experience these practices.
The HSC minimum standard resource provides teachers with teaching strategies and lesson materials to support explicit teaching of identified areas of need in writing, numeracy, and reading. These strategies can be adapted for use across the curriculum in Stages 5-6 to support achievement of the HSC minimum standard.
Teachers can use HSC minimum standard templates to create customised Areas of Focus in PLAN2 that support explicit teaching and monitoring of identified reading, writing or numeracy skills in the context of their syllabuses.
Secondary pilot models and interviews are available to guide high schools in the use of the progressions and PLAN2 to support targeted teaching and monitoring of literacy and numeracy.
English as an Additional Language/Dialect (EAL/D) resources (staff only) have been designed to support the learning needs of EAL/D students in working towards the HSC minimum standard. There is also a recorded professional learning session: HSC minimum standard and EAL/D students (requires Adobe Connect).
Professional learning to support the explicit teaching of literacy and numeracy in Stages 5-6 includes: Maintaining a focus on literacy and numeracy: The HSC minimum standard; Leading secondary numeracy; Maintaining a focus on literacy and numeracy in secondary: reading; writing; numeracy; and EAL/D.
Explicit teaching resources:
- HSC minimum standard resource
- HSC minimum standard templates
- PLAN2: Area of focus
- Learning progressions and PLAN2 in secondary schools
- EAL/D resources (staff only)
- Professional learning: HSC Minimum Standard and EAL/D learners (requires Adobe Connect)
- School Discoveries: Kurri Kurri High School (staff only)
- School Discoveries: Ingleburn High School (staff only)
- Literacy and numeracy professional learning
- Maintaining a focus on literacy and numeracy: The HSC minimum standard
- Leading secondary numeracy
- Maintaining a focus on literacy and numeracy: Secondary reading; Secondary writing; Secondary numeracy; and Secondary EAL/D.