PLAN2 (Planning Literacy and Numeracy) is the department’s software used to support teachers in monitoring student learning using the National Literacy and Numeracy Learning Progressions. Schools access PLAN2 via ALAN (Assessing Literacy and Numeracy).
PLAN2 allows teachers to:
- update and analyse observations against progression indicators to identify teaching priorities and support student, class or school literacy and numeracy development across the curriculum
access observations sent directly from department assessments, including the Best Start Kindergarten Assessment, Year 1 Phonics Screening Check and Interview for Student Reasoning to make evidence-based decisions on student learning
create differentiated areas of focus aligned to syllabus outcomes, to use for explicit teaching and to monitor learning
monitor student progress at student, class, stage or school level to help identify patterns, evaluate what works best, and strengthen practice in response.
Updates for 2023
Observations (progression indicator data) in PLAN2 are aligned with the National Literacy and Numeracy Progressions (version 3)
All school data has been migrated from version 2 to version 3 and new observation statuses are available in PLAN2
All ALAN assessments are mapped to version 3 from 2023. Assessment information in PLAN2 lodged prior to 2023 has been migrated to align with v3 indicators
PLAN2 and changes to syllabuses
PLAN2 contains the new syllabus outcomes and content for the updated K-2 English and Mathematics syllabuses for all department schools, including progression sub-elements and levels tagged to the syllabus content as provided by NESA.
Teachers can select individual progression indicators from the progression sub-element levels tagged to the content as well as other progression sub-elements and levels.
For all current K-10 syllabuses, PLAN2 contains existing syllabus outcomes for all syllabuses (Areas of focus feature) and show existing 3-10 English and Mathematics syllabus outcomes mapped to version 3 of the National Literacy and Numeracy Learning Progressions (department interim mapping).
Preparations for future syllabus updates will commence in 2023.
Support for schools
- The Demo school on the PLAN2 training site contains sample school data to allow schools to familiarise with some of the changes following the transition to v3.
- Professional learning and guidance is available to assist teachers to understand changes to the progressions and implications for the use of PLAN2. Information sessions and updates are available via the Literacy NSW and Numeracy NSW statewide staffrooms.
- Ask PLAN2 questions in the PLAN2 2023 channel in the PLAN2 Bitesize MS Team
Updated professional learning supporting the use of the learning progressions and PLAN2 will be available in Term 1, 2023.
- Literacy and numeracy learning progressions
Email the literacy and numeracy team
For technical support, log an online query via the ALAN help desk