History – for those new to teaching the subject K -6
A supplementary document to help and support teachers new to teaching K-10 History.
This document will support you in gaining an understanding of:
- the syllabus and its requirements
- what history is
- questions asked by historians
- skills required to study history
- designing assessment tasks
- professional organisations who can offer assistance and resources
- ideas and online resources to assist teachers in the teaching of history and historical skills.
The information in this document is not designed to cover all of the subject matter or skills, but to support teachers on the basics of history. This includes resources, variety of worksheets and a comprehensive list of online resources.
Syllabus outcomes and content descriptors from History K-10 (2012) Syllabus © NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA) for and on behalf of the Crown in right of the State of New South Wales, 2019