Guide to picture books in history K–10
A guide to support you to integrate picture books into history teaching and programming, when teaching History K–6.
This guide to using picture books in History K–10 aims to:
- promote and explain the value of using picture books in K–10 history teaching for developing historical concepts, skills, knowledge and understandings
- encourage K–10 teachers to integrate picture books into their history teaching and programming as stimulus material, a primary or secondary source or as an example of a historical narrative
- provide examples of history teaching and learning activities based around specific core picture books thoughtfully selected for their historical and literary value
- offer examples of history teaching and learning strategies that enable students to work and think as historians
- suggest a comprehensive list of stage-related, syllabus-linked picture books as a resource for use in history teaching and learning
- inspire teachers to seek out and share picture books that add enjoyment to, enhance and deepen students’ history learning experiences.
Syllabus outcomes and content descriptors from History K-10 (2012) Syllabus © NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA) for and on behalf of the Crown in right of the State of New South Wales, 2012