A supplementary document, designed to support students investigate criminal law, processes and institutions and the tension between community interests and individual rights and freedoms.
Themes and challenges
- the role of discretion in the criminal justice system
- issues of compliance and non-compliance in regard to criminal law
- the extent to which law reflects moral and ethical standards
- the role of law reform in the criminal justice system
- the extent to which the law balances the rights of victims, offenders and society
- the effectiveness of legal and non-legal measures in achieving justice.
Syllabus outcomes and content descriptors from Legal Studies Stage 6 Syllabus (2009) © NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA) for and on behalf of the Crown in right of the State of New South Wales, 2009