Year 10: Choose a pathway
HSC + ATAR
· This is a great way to set yourself up for entry into university.
· Remember that although there may be lots of pressure to get a great ATAR score, it’s not the only way to get into university.
· To follow this path, make sure you’ve only selected Board-Developed Courses as subjects
HSC + Vocational Education and Training (VET)
· This pathway allows you to get an HSC while also gaining practical skills for your dream job.
· You can choose subjects that lead to a HSC but get you out of the classroom and into the real world.
· VET courses are either delivered at your school or through TAFE NSW or other training providers. This might mean that you do a few days at school, and a few days at TAFE.
· Taking VET courses as part of your HSC means you will work towards both an HSC qualification, and a nationally recognised VET qualification.
· Studying for a VET qualification at school will help you succeed in further VET studies after school, and help you in getting an apprenticeship and a job after school.
· If you want to finish high school and set yourself up for a bright future, but you’re not sure what your dream job is, the HSC is your best option.
· Find out more about what subjects to choose
HSC + School Based Apprenticeship and Traineeship (SBAT)
· This is a great way to set yourself up for the career you want while you’re completing your HSC.
· SBATS combine paid work, training, and school. You can get credit towards your HSC, and a nationally recognised Vocational Education and Training (VET) credential while getting paid work experience.
· The Aboriginal Employment Strategy can help you find the perfect job during your SBAT: https://aes.org.au/our-services/traineeship-programs/
· Find out more about SBATs here: https://education.nsw.gov.au/public-schools/career-and-study-pathways/school-based-apprenticeships-and-traineeships
· If you have a disability, Life Skills may be a great option for Year 11 and 12. Talk to your school for more information.
· Remember you may also be able to access disability provisions to help make the HSC work for you: https://educationstandards.nsw.edu.au/wps/portal/nesa/11-12/hsc/disability-provisions