Per capita grant

Per capita grants help cover school operating costs such as teaching materials, staff wages and new equipment.

The amount of the grant is based on the number of students who have enrolled in your community language school. You can apply for this grant after 12 months of operating your school. You can also apply for a Specific project grant at the same time.

Who can apply?

You may receive a per capita grant if your community language school:

  • has been operating for more than 12 months
  • is managed by an organisation which is a not-for-profit legal entity
  • is located more than two kilometres away from any other community language school that teaches the same language
  • normally has a minimum of 20 school-aged students enrolled. (Schools outside a metropolitan area with less than 20 students may be eligible for funding in some circumstances.)
  • is open to school students from Kindergarten to Year 12, regardless of their language background
  • has students who attend at least 70 per cent of lessons in Term 1
  • holds classes outside school hours for at least 35 weeks of the year
  • provides a minimum of two hours per week face-to-face language teaching based on a sound educational program.

What can the grant be used for?

You can use the grant for:

  • teaching materials
  • stationery, photocopying
  • technology
  • payments to teachers
  • buying educational equipment
  • expenses associated with the administration of the schools.

You cannot use the grant for capital purposes such as buildings, repairs, maintenance or renovations.

What are the conditions?

Your community language school must show:

  • it is an organisation with 'incorporated association' status
  • it has the correct insurances
  • it has followed the correct steps for setting up a school
  • your statement of income and expenditure is complete for the year if you have received funding through the program before
  • your student enrolment and attendance records are in excellent order (program staff may check these at any time).

When is the closing date?

You must apply online by 30 April each year.

Ready to apply?

Read the apply for a grant page to find out what documents you need to submit and how to submit online.


  • Teaching and learning

Business Unit:

  • Student Support and Specialist Programs
Return to top of page Back to top