New Arrivals Program

The New Arrivals Program provides initial, on-arrival intensive English language tuition for eligible newly arrived students who are learning English as an additional language or dialect (EAL/D) and are at the beginning and emerging phases of English language proficiency.

Access to New Arrivals Program support

The New Arrivals Program targets support to EAL/D students in primary schools and rural and regional secondary schools by providing funding for additional staffing.

Eligible newly arrived students enrolling in Year 6 or high school in the Sydney metropolitan, Armidale and Wollongong areas should be referred to their local Intensive English Centre (IEC) or the Intensive English High School (IEHS). Year 6 students must be 11 years of age by 31 July in the year of enrolment.

To apply for New Arrivals Program support, schools must complete an online application through the New Arrivals Program application link on the online data collection for schools website.

A student is eligible for New Arrivals Program funding if they:

  • are newly arrived in Australia and speak a language other than English as their first language
  • require on-arrival, initial intensive English language support as they are at the beginning or emerging phase of English language proficiency as assessed against the Australian Curriculum, Assessment and Reporting Authority (ACARA) EAL/D learning progression (PDF 488KB)
  • have enrolled in their first school in Australia within 6 months of arrival, or within 18 months of arrival for Kindergarten students
  • have enrolled in an Australian school for the first time, or have transferred schools within 6 months of first enrolment
  • are an Australian citizen¹ returning from 2 or more years overseas, or a permanent resident or an approved temporary resident visa holder² (see Schedule of visa subclasses and enrolment conditions (PDF 124 KB)

¹Australian citizens may be eligible for New Arrivals Program funding if they:

  • were born overseas to Australian citizens and lived continuously overseas for 2 years or more (AUCC1-C1-Australian citizen in ERN)
  • have lived overseas continuously for 2 or more years (AUCC2-C2-Australian citizen in ERN).

²Temporary resident visa holders must present an Authority to Enrol (ATE) form (PDF 409KB) when enrolling at a primary or rural and regional secondary school.

All schools have a Strategic Improvement Plan in which they must show the school community how they propose to use funds to support students. Accountability for the effective use of new arrivals funding to improve student learning occurs through the school's annual report.


  • Finance and accounting
  • School operations

Business Unit:

  • Finance
Return to top of page Back to top