How to contact data services

Before contacting data services, check if the data you are looking for is already published online. More information.

Department staff, or non-government school staff (for accessing data such as NAPLAN and VALID) may be eligible for access to Scout. Your Scout access will be specific to your role. As Scout data is not public, you must obtain approval from the data owner if you want to publish the data externally to the department. Please contact data services if this situation arises.

Irrespective of the type of request, all members of the media should contact the media unit: 02 7814 1559 or The media unit will coordinate your complete request. You do not need to contact data services separately.

If you do not work in the department, and wish to conduct research in schools, or use previously collected research data held by the department, you will need to complete a SERAP application as well as a custom data request. Data cannot be released without an approved SERAP. If you require assistance with either please contact data services.

Data owned by the NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA), including data for all NSW schools, rather than just government schools, should be applied for via the NESA website. Data owned by the Australian Curriculum, Assessment and Reporting Authority (ACARA), including data for all Australian schools, rather than just NSW schools, should be applied for via the ACARA website.

For assistance with finding public data, submitting a request for data and questions relating to department data, email:

To request custom data that is not available online, complete the data request form.

Access the collection notice for data request form submissions.


  • Educational data

Business Unit:

  • Centre for Education Statistics and Evaluation
Return to top of page Back to top