People with disability
The department wants to attract and retain employees of the highest calibre. That is why we are committed to creating a workplace that is diverse, inclusive and reflective of the community.
Why work at Education?
The department's Diversity and Inclusion Strategy 2018-2022 outlines our commitment and plan of action for ensuring our workplaces are accessible and designed to maximise participation as well as create leadership opportunities for our employees with disability. It will be achieved through removing barriers to participation and embedding inclusive design in our thinking and responses.
How we support our commitment
There are many ways in which our department supports its? commitment to people with disability. These include:
- Building position descriptions based upon the objective essential requirements for that role in line with public service requirements.
- Designing recruitment materials (position descriptions, application forms, questionnaires) are available in accessible or alternative formats.
- Providing advice to our hiring managers on interviewing people with disability, as well as how to cater to the access needs of all candidates (for example, accessible venue, encouraging/arranging for relevant supports to be available for the interview including Auslan interpreters, employment support workers, and attendant carers).
- Making reasonable workplace adjustments provided on a needs basis.
- Encouraging staff and managers to undertake disability awareness training.
- Celebrating International Day for People with a Disability (IDPwD).
- Supporting a Disability Employee Network (DEN) (staff only) that works closely on matters such as the department-wide Diversity and Inclusion Strategy 2018-2022 and the Disability Inclusion Action Plan 2016-2020 (DOCX 65.38KB).
We also continue to learn new ways to be more inclusive. That is why we are a proud member of the Australian Network on Disability (AND).
Job Access provides a range of free support to help you find or keep a job. Assistance available includes help finding work, changing jobs, accessing Disability Employment Services (DES) providers and workplace modifications.