Culturally and linguistically diverse people
The department wants to attract and retain of the highest calibre. That is why we are committed to creating a workplace that is diverse, inclusive and reflective of the community.
Why work at Education?
The department's Diversity and Inclusion Strategy 2018-2022 outlines our commitment and plan of action for ensuring our workplaces better reflect the communities we serve. We recognize that this will drive the best outcomes for our students. It requires us to more closely engage with and understand our communities, celebrate the value of diversity and remove systemic barriers to entry and progression for employees from culturally and linguistically diverse (CALD) backgrounds.
How we support our commitment
There are many ways in which our department supports its' commitment to people from culturally and linguistically diverse (CALD) backgrounds. These include:
- Our position descriptions for roles within the department are based upon the objective essential requirements for that role in line with Public Service guidelines.
- We are committed to and actively engage in the Refugee Employment Program.
- We are creating dedicated spaces for reflection, meditation or prayer at each office and school.
- We work with CALD employees to understand current experiences and barriers to success and develop clear response program to key challenges identified.
- We celebrate Harmony Week (March 21), where we focus on the value of cultural differences, challenges and opportunities.