West Wyalong Public School
General program enquiries (including application status updates) should be directed to the Rural Experience Program team: firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 02 7814 3820
Eligibility criteria for this placement:
- Permanent employees who hold a substantive position as a teacher and meet the eligibility requirements in the Rural Experience Guidelines may apply for this placement.
- Non-permanent employees (those on a temporary engagement / contract and casual employees) who meet the eligibility requirements in the Rural Experience Guidelines may apply for this placement.
Terms 1 - 4, 2023 (Applicants can request a shorter duration in their application).
Role description: The successful applicant will be required to teach a primary class full-time, with a focus on improving reading and numeracy outcomes, using data to inform teaching practice.
Desired candidate expertise:
- Experience teaching Years K-6.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and deliver evidence-based, differentiated reading and numeracy programs, reflecting the use of data, to meet the needs of all students.
- Highly developed interpersonal skills with the capacity to work collaboratively in a team and build positive relationships with all members of the school community.
- Effective classroom management and student wellbeing practices.
- Willingness and capacity to teach an extra-curricular group such as sport, debating and/or dance is not essential but would be an advantage.
Teacher housing may be available.
Please note: Teacher Housing availability can depend upon a variety of factors, including vacancy status and potential priority offers to other staff with full time rural appointments. Teacher Housing Authority (THA) may not be able to confirm allocation of properties until all applications have been received and processed. Applicants are encouraged to discuss property availability directly with THA. Participants of the Rural Experience Program are not eligible for the Housing Rental Subsidy but may rent a property (at market value) through the THA if available.
West Wyalong Public School sits on the lands and waterways of the Wiradjuri people, situated in the town of West Wyalong, which is the major town in the Bland Shire, in the Riverina Region of NSW. The school has historically drawn its enrolments from farms and the rural sector. With the opening of the Cowal Gold Mine, (now called Evolution) our school has seen a change in its cultural dynamic. Our enrolment numbers are currently 200. Aboriginal enrolment numbers have remained steady over the last five years averaging 35 students per year. We currently have 10 EAL/D students.
Our school has many extra-curriculum opportunities through sport, music, cultural experiences, excursions, leadership initiatives and performances. A whole school wellbeing program has been implemented, to provide extra support for individual student's needs.
Our school enjoys a collaborative relationship with the High School – all Year 6 students participate in a Middle School program each Thursday that involve specialised High School teachers teaching Literacy, Numeracy and STEM. We have an active and interested parent body and our P&C members have been an integral part of the consultation process for this plan.
Our School Improvement Plan focuses on the need to improve reading and numeracy results across the school. To enable this, an evidence-based K –6 continuum of learning for reading and numeracy is necessary. In addition, deeper collaboration across the school community and increased involvement in the school by the community, with a focus of high expectations will improve student learning outcomes.
How to apply for this placement
- Refer to the Guide to Applying as you prepare your application
- Complete the online application form and answer the placement questions:
- What motivated you to apply for the program in general and specifically this placement? (max 600 words)
- What skills and experiences can you bring to the Rural Experience School? Why would you be a good fit for this placement (max 600 words)
- Attach the required documentation to your application:
- Endorsement of Application form (saved as a PDF)
- Resume / CV (maximum 2 pages as a PDF)