Employment types

With hundreds of roles and thousands of workplaces, both in and outside of schools, the department utilises a wide variety of employment types.

This can mean during your career journey you might start as a temporary or casual worker and move to a permanent position, or vice versa as your life and situation evolve.

Note that, whatever your conditions, everyone employed directly by the department (including those in permanent, part-time or casual positions) can apply for internal-only roles.


Ongoing/permanent employees are engaged without a time limit. This can be full time or part time.

Ongoing employees may also request a secondment, allowing them to further their professional development by taking a temporary role elsewhere in the NSW Public Sector.

For ongoing/permanent jobs, you need to be an Australian citizen or permanent resident.


Temporary/Term employees are engaged to work for a fixed period or for the duration of a specified task. The length depends on the need and your role, but you will be employed directly by the department and receive benefits such as paid sick and annual leave.

For most temporary jobs, you need a visa that gives you permission to work in Australia.


Casual employees, including casual teachers, are engaged directly by the department to carry out irregular, intermittent or short-term or urgent work as and when such work is required. For example, where a temporary or ongoing employee is on leave or where the employee is required on a short term, one off basis for a specific project.

A casual employee is to be engaged for no less than 3 consecutive hours per day

Casual employees can expect a higher rate of pay than an equivalent full-time or part-time employee doing the same job. This is called a 'casual loading' and is paid because they don't get benefits such as paid sick or annual leave.


Contractors (also known as on-hire or labour hire employees) work for a third party, such as a recruitment agency, who is contracted to supply a worker for a set period of time. The worker is employed by the third party rather than the department.

More information

Return to top of page Back to top