Distance education is an equity program for NSW students who are geographically isolated or whose individual circumstances prevent them from regularly attending school.
Principals must use the Distance Education Enrolment Procedures (PDF 481KB) to determine a student’s eligibility to enrol in a distance education program.
It is a requirement that a parent or approved supervisor is available to meet child care and protection requirements, as well as support the child complete the learning programs developed by the distance education school.
All distance education enrolments are reviewed annually to ensure students are meeting standards of engagement and participation to satisfy attendance requirements.
Distance education is not home schooling. For information about home schooling you can visit NESA.
Full-time enrolment in distance education is available for students from preschool to Year 12. it is available on a continuing basis or as a temporary provision. Categories for full-time enrolment include:
- geographic isolation
- students travelling within Australia
- students temporarily resident or travelling overseas
- students with a medical condition
- pregnant students/young parents
- vocationally talented students
- students with additional learning and support needs
- students with additional learning and support needs temporarily enrolled to assist transition back to school, further education or employment
- students in extraordinary circumstances
- students affiliated with the national school for travelling show children.
Single course enrolment
Single course enrolment is available for students in Years 9 to 12 when the home school cannot provide the required breadth and flexibility of curriculum. Generally this is available on a quota basis determined by the home school’s enrolments. See the Distance Education Enrolment Procedures for details.
- Home schools must provide required resources such as textbooks, phone, computer, internet and videoconferencing access as well as supervision and a suitable and safe learning space.