In 2023, the NSW Department of Education launched a pilot program to support School Learning Support Officers (SLSOs) to train as teachers within NSW public schools, with a focus on rural, regional and high-demand metropolitan areas.
Given the success of this pilot, the Grow Your Own - Teacher Training Program will expand for the 2024 intake to also support permanent or long-term temporary Aboriginal Education Officers (AEOs), School Administration Officers (SAOs), School Administrative Managers (SAMs) and Business Managers (BMs) to train as teachers.
The department has partnered with Charles Sturt University and Western Sydney University to deliver an accredited and flexible teaching degree to meet the needs of experienced SASS staff.
- $10,000 training allowance per year (pre tax), up to $30,000
- Information and peer networking sessions
- Receive a permanent position in a NSW public school upon successful completion of studies
Employment whilst studying
- Remain employed in your current role at school while studying
- Work part-time as an educational paraprofessional (up to three days per week) in your final four semesters of study
- Study a combined Bachelor and Masters degree at Charles Sturt University or a Bachelor or Masters degree at Western Sydney University
- Flexible delivery with online study available
- Bridging course available to boost foundational skills
For more information about the university courses or Recognition of Prior Learning, see below:
Charles Sturt University
Western Sydney University
Online information session
View the recording of the online information session hosted by the NSW Department of Education on Tuesday, 25 July 2023.
Subscribe to be notified of program updates.