Who can support my child at school?

There is a range of public-school staff who can contribute to personalised learning and support for your child where needed.

Here is a list of staff members who may be able to assist you and your child at school.

Class teacher

Each teacher is responsible for implementing and recording the adjustments they put in place for your child

In primary school, they prepare daily lesson plans that fit the curriculum requirements and teach across a wide range of subject areas. They are also responsible for managing their classroom and assessing and evaluating their students' developments.

In high school, teachers are trained to teach in one or more subject areas. Each teacher is responsible for implementing and recording the adjustments they put in place for your child.


Principals lead their school communities. Their responsibilities include:

  • implementing effective teaching and learning
  • making informed financial decisions
  • supporting the needs of all students
  • managing resources
  • supporting the growth and development of staff
  • engaging with the wider community and
  • implementing change and reform at your child’s school.

Year advisor

Year advisors are responsible for the wellbeing of the students in their year group, and how it impacts on their learning. They are usually the first point of contact for parents if they have any issues or concerns.

School learning and support officer (SLSO)

The SLSO works under the direction and supervision of the classroom teacher.

They provide assistance to students with disability and additional learning and support needs enrolled in mainstream classes and support classes in mainstream schools and Schools for Specific Purpose.

They can provide assistance with:

  • school routines
  • classroom activities, and
  • the care and management of students with disability and additional learning and support needs.

Learning and support team (LST)

Every school has a learning and support team. The LST collect data and provide recommendations for students who need adjustments to access the curriculum and meet their educational goals. They play a key role in meeting the specific needs of students with disability and additional learning and support needs are met.

The composition of teams may vary from school to school, as their members are selected based on the needs of the school and community in which they work.

The LST:

  • supports teachers in identifying and responding to the additional learning needs of students
  • organises the whole school's approach to improving the learning outcomes of every student
  • coordinates the planning and resourcing for students with disability and additional learning and support needs
  • designs and implements the supports for building teacher capacity so that all students access quality learning, and
  • develops collaborative partnerships with the school, parents and carers, other professionals and the wider school community.

Learning and support teacher

The learning and support teacher provides direct, specialist assistance to students in mainstream classes with disability and additional learning and support needs, as well as to their teachers.

They focus on:

  • the needs of individual students
  • school priorities, and
  • evidence-based programs to assist students with additional learning and support needs.

Learning and support teachers will work directly with you and your child to make sure you are both actively involved in decision-making about their learning at school.

School counsellor

School counselling staff can help students who are having difficulties at school or home. They can also help families to access services outside school if needed.

School counsellors are qualified teachers who have a degree in psychology and post graduate qualifications in school counselling.

They help support the work of teachers by:

  • strengthening schools' student welfare provisions, and
  • providing psychological assessments of students with specific needs.

Senior psychologist education (SPE)

SPEs coordinate and professionally supervise a team of school counsellors and school psychologists to deliver high quality psychological services to schools.

They work closely with schools, other members of educational services teams and agencies to improve student learning and wellbeing outcomes.

Assistant principal learning and support

The Assistant principal learning and support works across the school to support students with disability and learning and support needs. They help support learning and support teachers, and can give professional training to school staff about giving learning adjustments to students.

Assistant principal hearing and vision

Assistant principals (hearing and vision) supports schools to meet the personalised learning and support needs of students with hearing and/or vision loss.

This includes:

  • participating in assessments by working collaboratively with you, the school learning and support team, and other professionals as required
  • connecting with government departments and other agencies
  • providing professional learning to school and itinerant support teachers (hearing or vision)
  • coordinating a team of itinerant support teachers (hearing or vision).

Itinerant support teacher

The Itinerant support teacher supports parents and carers and students who require support with early intervention, hearing and/or vision.

They work throughout the year prior to your child starting school and continue to provide support into a child's first year of school.

Their role includes:

  • supporting the staff of early childhood classes to provide personalised learning and support
  • developing individual, coordinated transition plans to support your child moving from early education into school
  • establishing and maintaining links with a range of local services in the community.

Itinerant support teacher (hearing or vision)

Itinerant support teachers (hearing or vision) work with students who have a confirmed hearing and/or vision disability prior to school and in NSW public schools.

These specialist teachers support students, their teachers and families from diagnosis through to Year 12.

Itinerant support teachers (conductive hearing loss) provide support and advice to schools for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students who have a conductive hearing loss.

Student Support Services

The Student Support Services team provides strategic, operational and responsive support to schools. They also provide support to parents and carers if required. They are based within Education Offices around NSW.

Support teacher transition

Support teachers transition assist teachers and high school students in mainstream schools and Schools for Specific Purposes - and their parents and carers - with the transition from school to adult life.

Their work may include:

  • providing advice on curriculum options and subject selection
  • providing advice on vocational preparation, work experience and entry to HSC Vocational Education and Training courses
  • assisting with the transition planning involved in leaving school, which may include employment and further education, helping to prepare for transport and mobility issues, and organising recreation and leisure pursuits
  • liaising with a range of government and non-government providers
  • assisting students and their families to access specialist programs and support provided by other government agencies.


  • Teaching and learning


  • Additional needs

Business Unit:

  • Student Support and Specialist Programs
Return to top of page Back to top