Key dates for applying to tertiary and VET providers
Your child can begin applying for tertiary education placements well before they finish Year 12. Dates vary between institutions and from year to year.
The information below is a general guide.
Dates may have changed due to COVID-19. Please check directly with the education or course provider for the latest key dates.
Universities Admissions Centre
Learn more at What is the Universities Admissions Centre?
- March-April: Year 12 students receive their unique PIN and may begin applying for courses, through the University Admission Centre (UAC) website or app
- December: ATAR results become available and relevant adjustments can be made to course preferences
- December-January: university placement offers begin through UAC.
- February: Semester 1 undergraduate application deadline (UAC)
Source: UAC website.
Some universities have separate processes for applications and offers. Details are available through their websites.
Here is a list of institutions in NSW and the ACT which handle applications through UAC and those which don’t.
TAFE NSW accepts applications through its website. Requirements vary depending on the course but applications for Semester 1 can normally be made within two weeks of the start date.
- February: Semester 1 commences (course applications accepted within two weeks of start date)
- June: Semester 1 concludes, applications for Semester 2 intake
- July: Semester 2 commences
Other VET providers
Learn more about Vocational Education and Training (VET) courses.
There are thousands of VET providers or Registered Training Organisations delivering qualifications across Australia. The National Training Register maintains a searchable list.
Smart and Skilled provides funding for students to enrol in VET in NSW and its website can help you find a course that is subsidised.
Contact individual organisations for details on applications.
To explore courses and careers visit the NSW Government LifeLauncher.