Walhallow Public School
General program enquiries (including application status updates) should be directed to the Rural Experience Program team: email@example.com or phone 02 7814 3820
Eligibility criteria for this placement:
- Permanent employees who hold a substantive position as a teacher and meet the eligibility requirements in the Rural Experience Guidelines may apply for this placement.
- Non-permanent employees (those on a temporary engagement / contract and casual employees) who meet the eligibility requirements in the Rural Experience Guidelines may apply for this placement.
Primary Teacher: Classroom or special interest
Walhallow Public School, Caroona NSW
Placement level: Teacher
Contact for enquiries: Roxanne Harris (Principal), firstname.lastname@example.org, 02 6747 4717
Additional resources: explore what it's like to live and work in the Mid North area.
Terms 1 - 4, 2024 (Applicants can request a shorter duration in their application).
Role description: The placement will be tailored dependent on the skillset of the applicant. It could be having their own class, implementing intervention programs, RFF or opportunities to explore and lead whole school programs relating to our school priority areas.
Additional commitments: Participation in extra-curricular activities based on interest is welcomed.
Desired candidate expertise:
- Approval to teach K-6
- Highly developed interpersonal skills with the capacity to work collaboratively in a team and build positive relationships with all members of the wider school community.
- Demonstrated success in developing and delivering high-quality, differentiated teaching and learning programs with an emphasis on student engagement.
- Knowledge of and the ability to implement the Department’s Aboriginal education policy to enhance quality outcomes for all Aboriginal students.
- Commitment to student wellbeing
Our school is located nearby the towns of Quirindi and Werris Creek, where there are great facilities for families, rental properties, teacher housing, and shared housing. Walhallow is also 1 hour drive south west of Tamworth, where there are plenty of beautiful places to explore.
Please note: Teacher Housing availability can depend upon a variety of factors, including vacancy status and potential priority offers to other staff with full time rural appointments. Teacher Housing Authority (THA) may not be able to confirm allocation of properties until all applications have been received and processed. Applicants are encouraged to discuss property availability directly with THA. Participants of the Rural Experience Program are not eligible for the Housing Rental Subsidy but may rent a property (at market value) through the THA if available.
Walhallow Public School is a small rural school, located thirty kilometres from the towns of Werris Creek and Quirindi. Our current enrolment is 9 students, 100% of students identify as First Nations peoples. The majority of students attend the school-based early childhood program Yuluwirri prior to commencing school.
We are located within the Aboriginal community of Walhallow, sitting proudly on Gamilaroi land. The school has high expectations for students, staff and community. Learning programs are personalised for each student to promote learning and wellbeing as well as cultural identity.
Through collaboration within and beyond the school gate, staff continue to support the development of local cultural awareness, supported by a strong community of practice with the small school’s network, Warrama-li, and continued engagement with community and inter-agencies. Every student is known, valued and cared for at Walhallow Public School.
How to apply for this placement
- Refer to the Guide to Applying as you prepare your application
- Complete the online application form and answer the placement questions:
- What motivated you to apply for the program in general and specifically this placement? (max 600 words)
- What skills and experiences can you bring to the Rural Experience School? Why would you be a good fit for this placement (max 600 words)
- Attach the required documentation to your application:
- Endorsement of Application form (saved as a PDF)
- Resume / CV (maximum 2 pages as a PDF)