School of the Air Broken Hill and Hay
General program enquiries (including application status updates) should be directed to the Rural Experience Program team: firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 02 7814 3820
Eligibility criteria for this placement:
- Permanent employees who hold a substantive position as a teacher and meet the eligibility requirements in the Rural Experience Guidelines may apply for this placement.
- Non-permanent employees (those on a temporary engagement / contract and casual employees) who meet the eligibility requirements in the Rural Experience Guidelines may apply for this placement.
School of the Air, Broken Hill NSW
Placement level: Teacher
Contact for enquiries: Kylie Green (Principal), email@example.com, 08 8087 3565
Additional resources: explore what it's like to live and work in the Broken Hill area.
Terms 1 - 4, 2024 (Applicants can request a shorter duration in their application).
Role description: The placement is an opportunity to be part of the team at our unique and dynamic distance education primary school. A full-time teaching load involves collaboratively planning and programming predominantly print-based teaching and learning resources, differentiated to meet individual student needs. The program is supported by daily online lessons and regular online individual and peer feedback calls.
The successful applicant will be encouraged to develop innovative approaches to timely and effective feedback as we move to a new learning platform.
Participation in extra-curricular activities based on interest is welcomed.
Desired candidate expertise:
- Approval to teach K-6
- Highly developed interpersonal skills with the capacity to work collaboratively in a team and build positive relationships with all members of the school community.
- Demonstrated success in developing and delivering high-quality, differentiated teaching and learning programs with an emphasis on student engagement.
- Knowledge of and the ability to implement the Department’s Aboriginal education policy to enhance quality outcomes for all Aboriginal students.
- Commitment to student wellbeing
- Basic computer skills and use of online platforms such as teams.
Teacher Housing and private rentals may be available in Broken Hill.
Please note: Teacher Housing availability can depend upon a variety of factors, including vacancy status and potential priority offers to other staff with full time rural appointments. Teacher Housing Authority (THA) may not be able to confirm allocation of properties until all applications have been received and processed. Applicants are encouraged to discuss property availability directly with THA. Participants of the Rural Experience Program are not eligible for the Housing Rental Subsidy but may rent a property (at market value) through the THA if available.
School of the Air is a distance education primary school located in Broken Hill, with a second campus in Hay. We have around 150 enrolments from preschool to Year 6, most of whom are geographically isolated students. Students are supported at home by a supervisor who assists with engaging students in programmed activities in their schoolrooms at home and returning activities with feedback to the teacher. Our calendar is filled with regular events, such as classrooms, mini schools and excursions. We have a very active and supportive P&C who support many school activities and are instrumental is facilitating and hosting mini schools, a highlight of our school calendar.
It is an exciting time to part of our school, as we transition to Teams and explore how we can innovatively use technology to assist us to achieve our school priorities.
How to apply for this placement
- Refer to the Guide to Applying as you prepare your application
- Complete the online application form and answer the placement questions:
- What motivated you to apply for the program in general and specifically this placement? (max 600 words)
- What skills and experiences can you bring to the Rural Experience School? Why would you be a good fit for this placement (max 600 words)
- Attach the required documentation to your application:
- Endorsement of Application form (saved as a PDF)
- Resume / CV (maximum 2 pages as a PDF)