Pooncarie Public School
General program enquiries (including application status updates) should be directed to the Rural Experience Program team: firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 02 7814 3820
Eligibility criteria for this placement:
- Permanent employees who hold a substantive position as a teacher and meet the eligibility requirements in the Rural Experience Guidelines may apply for this placement.
- Non-permanent employees (those on a temporary engagement / contract and casual employees) who meet the eligibility requirements in the Rural Experience Guidelines may apply for this placement.
Terms 1 - 4, 2024 (Applicants can request a shorter duration in their application).
Role description: The successful applicant will not have the responsibility for a full-time class. The role will be negotiated and tailored taking the specific strengths of the successful applicant into account.
The teacher will work in the area of student growth and attainment in support of our school improvement plan. Strategic Direction 1 involves improving the learning outcomes of all students in literacy and numeracy.
This is an exciting opportunity for a motivated teacher to gain a fantastic rural experience in a dynamic school setting. Pooncarie school has dedicated teachers working as a team on a whole school literacy and numeracy approach. Pooncarie school has respectful, kind students and a very supportive school community.
It is anticipated that the placement would involve a combination of intensive small group tuition, team teaching and providing support in the form of release to enable motivated teachers to undertake professional learning.
The successful applicant will be fully supported in undertaking a meaningful rural school experience.
Additional commitments: Capacity to work as part of a strong team in supporting student literacy and numeracy learning.
Desired candidate expertise:
- Willingness to work in a rural setting, developing skills alongside and with dedicated teachers.
- Approval to teach K-6
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills with the capacity to work collaboratively in a team and build positive relationships with all members of the school community.
- Knowledge of curriculum and willingness to engage in professional learning.
- Commitment to student wellbeing
Accommodation would be through private rental arranged with and by the local community. Options include shared; small cottage or 3-4 bedroom house. The school also has accommodation on site if required, this is designed for short-term use. (Contact the school for further information)
If prepared to travel, teachers could rent in Wentworth (1 1/2hrs drive). Contact Elstone Agencies in Wentworth for more information (03 5027 3177)
Please note: Teacher Housing availability can depend upon a variety of factors, including vacancy status and potential priority offers to other staff with full time rural appointments. Teacher Housing Authority (THA) may not be able to confirm allocation of properties until all applications have been received and processed. Applicants are encouraged to discuss property availability directly with THA. Participants of the Rural Experience Program are not eligible for the Housing Rental Subsidy but may rent a property (at market value) through the THA if available.
Pooncarie Public School is located in the beautiful historic village and river port of Pooncarie located on the banks of the Darling River in the Far West of NSW 120 km North of Mildura (Vic) and 250km south of Broken Hill. The community is surrounded by grazing properties. Pooncarie is the closest upstream town to the magnificent Mungo National Park and a stop on the Darling River Run touring route. The town is rich in history, during the 19th century, Pooncarie was an important river port and is still referred to by locals as The Port. The friendly locals enjoy an unhurried paced outdoor lifestyle.
Pooncarie Public School is a TP1 school, the school is part of the Far West Network and works closely with other small schools in the network. Pooncarie is a low socio-economic rural school. Projected enrolment for 2023 is 8. A community preschool runs on-site Thursday and Friday.
The school is well-resourced to support quality learning in all KLA areas, including teaching materials, technology and sport.
Strong community relationships are an important aspect of the school with a high level of community consultation and involvement. supporting a positive culture with students and parents taking great pride in developing the school motto and values. The school motto of 'Advancing Together' underpins all we do at Pooncarie Public School. The values of Trust, Respect, Unite, Encourage are exemplified by the strong contributions made to our school by staff, students and the community.
At Pooncarie Public School we strive for ongoing school improvement and to build an inclusive and trusting school culture by supporting collaboration, effective partnerships and involvement in the school community to provide high-quality education, wellbeing and social opportunities and outcomes for all students.
How to apply for this placement
- Refer to the Guide to Applying as you prepare your application
- Complete the online application form and answer the placement questions:
- What motivated you to apply for the program in general and specifically this placement? (max 600 words)
- What skills and experiences can you bring to the Rural Experience School? Why would you be a good fit for this placement (max 600 words)
- Attach the required documentation to your application:
- Endorsement of Application form (saved as a PDF)
- Resume / CV (maximum 2 pages as a PDF)