Palinyewah Public School
General program enquiries (including application status updates) should be directed to the Rural Experience Program team: firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 02 7814 3820
Eligibility criteria for this placement:
- Permanent employees who hold a substantive position as a teacher and meet the eligibility requirements in the Rural Experience Guidelines may apply for this placement.
- Non-permanent employees (those on a temporary engagement / contract and casual employees) who meet the eligibility requirements in the Rural Experience Guidelines may apply for this placement.
Primary Teacher: Multi-stage (K-6)
Palinyewah Public School, Ellerslie NSW
Placement level: Teacher
Contact for enquiries: Jake Debrincat (Principal), email@example.com, 03 5027 9242
Additional resources: explore what it's like to live and work in the Sunraysia area.
Terms 1 - 4, 2023 (Applicants can request a shorter duration in their application).
Role description: We are looking for an innovative classroom teacher who is energetic, caring, open to new learning and enjoys working in a highly collaborative environment focussed on improving student outcomes. Our school’s culture is based on creating genuine relationships, dreaming big, working hard and learning together, having fun and cultivating a sense of respect and gratitude. Some teaching will involve the whole K-6 class. There will be opportunities to explore and lead whole school programs relating to our school priority areas and your special interests.Our school is on a research-based learning journey, with Literacy and Numeracy as targeted Key Learning Areas.
Opportunities may also exist to work with other schools across the Sunraysia network.
Applications are also welcome from teachers who may prefer a placement for a shorter time frame than 4 terms. Please indicate which terms would best suit your availability as part of your application.
Additional commitments: Participation in extra-curricular activities based on interest is welcomed.
Desired candidate expertise:
- Approval to teach K-6
- Highly developed interpersonal skills with the capacity to work collaboratively in a team and build positive relationships with all members of the school community.
- Demonstrated success in developing and delivering high quality, differentiated teaching and learning programs with an emphasis on student engagement.
- Commitment to student wellbeing
- Ability to successfully integrate various and meaningful technologies into teaching and learning activities and lessons
Teacher Housing accommodation is located next door to the school and may be available - a two-bedroom house with a generous yard that is fully fenced.
Accommodation would also be available in close-by Wentworth, Mildura (Victoria) or areas surrounding these towns. The type of accommodation varies from 1 bedroom upwards – an idea of costs can be found by searching for rentals online. Share accommodation may also be possible.
Other accommodation may be available at Ellerslie - but with a very limited number of properties in the area, this would not be known until closer to the time needed. There are no services at Ellerslie. A vehicle would be essential, as there are no public transport options available to travel to or from service areas such as Wentworth or Mildura. Current members of staff live in Wentworth and Gol Gol and travel to the school.
Please note: Teacher Housing availability can depend upon a variety of factors, including vacancy status and potential priority offers to other staff with full time rural appointments. Teacher Housing Authority (THA) may not be able to confirm allocation of properties until all applications have been received and processed. Applicants are encouraged to discuss property availability directly with THA. Participants of the Rural Experience Program are not eligible for the Housing Rental Subsidy but may rent a property (at market value) through the THA if available.
Palinyewah Public School is a beautiful small K-6 school located right on the Darling River in the locality of Ellerslie (2648 - NOTE: there are 2 locations with the name Ellerslie in NSW). The school is an approximately 25-minute drive north of Wentworth, and a 40-minute drive north-west of Mildura, Victoria. The drive from either location is along mostly open, stunning country roads. The school has its own full-size tennis court, two play equipment’s and is surrounded by grape, citrus and pumpkin fields.
The anticipated enrolment for 2023 is 16 students with 5 in Early Stage 1/ Stage 1, 8 in Stage 2 and 3 in Stage 3. Our students mostly travel from areas north of the school, with some students travelling 30km each way to school. Many of our families are involved in agricultural industries such as citrus, grapes, cereal crops and livestock.
Our school motto is Participate, Persevere, Succeed and our values are Be Wise (Responsibility), Be Kind (Respect), Be True (Integrity).
Strong community relationships are an important aspect of the school with a high level of community consultation and involvement. The school culture is positive with students and parents alike taking great pride in our school. Our school community values education and is supportive of the school and staff. Each term, the active P&C meet to discuss school and student needs and future business to support the educational outcomes for our students.
Working collaboratively and building teacher capacity through ensuring provision of high impact professional learning for all staff is a priority. The school currently has a teaching principal, full time teacher, SAM, APCI and a school chaplain. Together, we support each other which has created a harmonious teaching and learning environment.
The school is very well resourced in all areas including:
- a wide range of sporting equipment
- 1:1 student computer ratio with desktops, laptops, and iPads
- new interactive screens with webcams in both classrooms
- a variety of online subscriptions for students and teachers
- a wide range of library and teaching materials
- flexible learning spaces and furniture.
- APCI one day a week
How to apply for this placement
- Refer to the Guide to Applying as you prepare your application
- Complete the online application form and answer the placement questions:
- What motivated you to apply for the program in general and specifically this placement? (max 600 words)
- What skills and experiences can you bring to the Rural Experience School? Why would you be a good fit for this placement (max 600 words)
- Attach the required documentation to your application:
- Endorsement of Application form (saved as a PDF)
- Resume / CV (maximum 2 pages as a PDF)