Hay Public School
General program enquiries (including application status updates) should be directed to the Rural Experience Program team: email@example.com or phone 02 7814 3820
Eligibility criteria for this placement:
- Permanent employees who hold a substantive position as a teacher and meet the eligibility requirements in the Rural Experience Guidelines may apply for this placement.
- Non-permanent employees (those on a temporary engagement / contract and casual employees) who meet the eligibility requirements in the Rural Experience Guidelines may apply for this placement.
Terms 1 - 4, 2023 (Applicants can request a shorter duration in their application).
The successful applicant will be for teaching a stage 2 or 3 class to allow additional release for an executive staff member, for up to 2.5 days each week. The teacher will undertake all the normal duties of a classroom teacher.
They may also provide RFF for classes from K-6 to provide release for teachers to participate in school-based programs over the week. The successful applicant will be required to collaborate with classroom teachers K-6 being released for projects.
The placement will be a 1.0 FTE
Accommodation may be available through the Teacher Housing Authority, ranging from one bedroom furnished apartments through to 4 bedroom unfurnished houses.
Please note: Teacher Housing availability can depend upon a variety of factors, including vacancy status and potential priority offers to other staff with full time rural appointments. Teacher Housing Authority (THA) may not be able to confirm allocation of properties until all applications have been received and processed. Applicants are encouraged to discuss property availability directly with THA. Participants of the Rural Experience Program are not eligible for the Housing Rental Subsidy but may rent a property (at market value) through the THA if available.
Established in 1869, Hay Public School is located in an isolated, rural town on the banks of the Murrumbidgee River, with an approximate population of 2500. The nearest major hubs include: Griffith (155km), Wagga (280km) and Melbourne (450km). The school is a focal point of the community and has a current enrolment of 210 with 20% Aboriginal. A large percentage of our students are from low socio-economic backgrounds. Student numbers have increased over the past three years due to the stability of an experienced staff, leadership and a positive school direction.
Extra-curricular opportunities in sport, science and technology and creative and performing arts, enable our students to excel through a range of different experiences. Hay Public School has a proud history and promotes student responsibility, respect, lifelong learning and a desire for students to strive for their best.
Parents and members of the community make valuable contributions to the school's programs and the welfare of the students and the school has an active P&C.
The school has a strong focus on improving early literacy and numeracy skills in students K-6. The school has 1.2 Assistant Principals Curriculum and Instruction who are employed to support literacy and numeracy teaching and learning across K-6. Structures are put in place to identify students who need intervention and support in their learning.
The management of wellbeing practices has had a positive effect on maintaining engagement of students and stabilising attendance rates. We set high expectations for ourselves to ensure all students and their families feel a genuine sense of belonging and connection to our school.
How to apply for this placement
- Refer to the Guide to Applying as you prepare your application
- Complete the online application form and answer the placement questions:
- What motivated you to apply for the program in general and specifically this placement? (max 600 words)
- What skills and experiences can you bring to the Rural Experience School? Why would you be a good fit for this placement (max 600 words)
- Attach the required documentation to your application:
- Endorsement of Application form (saved as a PDF)
- Resume / CV (maximum 2 pages as a PDF)