Goolgowi Public School
General program enquiries (including application status updates) should be directed to the Rural Experience Program team: firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 02 7814 3820
Eligibility criteria for this placement:
- Permanent employees who hold a substantive position as a teacher and meet the eligibility requirements in the Rural Experience Guidelines may apply for this placement.
- Non-permanent employees (those on a temporary engagement / contract and casual employees) who meet the eligibility requirements in the Rural Experience Guidelines may apply for this placement.
Terms 1 - 4, 2023 (Applicants can request a shorter duration in their application).
As part of the teaching staff at Goolgowi PS, the placement will entail teaching a Stage 2 or 3 class for literacy and numeracy and teaching the 3-6 class for the other KLA's.
Our classes are small and the placement will have a normal classroom teacher's load. The ability to integrate technology into key learning areas would be an advantage as Goolgowi PS has a strong robotics, coding and technology program.
As a small school, teachers have different KLA roles and extra-curricular responsibilities which will be negotiated. At Goolgowi, there is a strong emphasis on improving literacy and numeracy outcomes and developing 21st century learning skills with real world connections. As part of our Strategic Improvement Plan, we are developing a collaborative network with similar sized schools.
Desired candidate expertise:
- Approval to teach K-6
- Highly developed interpersonal skills with the capacity to work collaboratively in a team and build positive relationships with all members of the school community.
- Demonstrated success in developing and delivering high quality, differentiated teaching and learning programs with an emphasis on student engagement.
- Knowledge of and the ability to implement the DoE Aboriginal education policy to enhance quality outcomes for all Aboriginal students.
- Commitment to student wellbeing
Goolgowi has three Teacher Housing places which could be available for the applicant if required. They are within walking distance of the school. There could be private rentals available.
Please note: Teacher Housing availability can depend upon a variety of factors, including vacancy status and potential priority offers to other staff with full time rural appointments. Teacher Housing Authority (THA) may not be able to confirm allocation of properties until all applications have been received and processed. Applicants are encouraged to discuss property availability directly with THA. Participants of the Rural Experience Program are not eligible for the Housing Rental Subsidy but may rent a property (at market value) through the THA if available.
Goolgowi Public School is is a small rural school located mid-way between Griffith and Hillston in the Shire of Carrathool in the North-West Riverina. It is at the crossroads of the Mid-Western Highway and the Kidman Way and 50km from Griffith where there are numerous dining, sporting and cultural activities. The school provides education for students drawn from both rural farming area and student who live in the small village of Goolgowi.
Goolgowi Public School has a student population of 32 children in 2 multi-stage classes. We are planning to have 1 multi-stage class and 2 stage classes if a suitable applicant is found.
Robotics, coding and technology are an important part of Goolgowi's engaging 21st century learning programs. We work closely with Murrumbidgee Regional High School and their STEM Academy to provide extra STEM opportunities for students. Goolgowi PS is a part of the Small Schools network which enables students to participate in all the team sports provided by the PSSA. Students travel to Griffith to participate in creative arts activities. We have a strong and supportive school community who help support our learning programs and resources.
How to apply for this placement
- Refer to the Guide to Applying as you prepare your application
- Complete the online application form and answer the placement questions:
- What motivated you to apply for the program in general and specifically this placement? (max 600 words)
- What skills and experiences can you bring to the Rural Experience School? Why would you be a good fit for this placement (max 600 words)
- Attach the required documentation to your application:
- Endorsement of Application form (saved as a PDF)
- Resume / CV (maximum 2 pages as a PDF)