Finley Public School
General program enquiries (including application status updates) should be directed to the Rural Experience Program team: firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 02 7814 3820
Eligibility criteria for this placement:
- Permanent employees who hold a substantive position as a teacher and meet the eligibility requirements in the Rural Experience Guidelines may apply for this placement.
- Non-permanent employees (those on a temporary engagement / contract and casual employees) who meet the eligibility requirements in the Rural Experience Guidelines may apply for this placement.
Terms 1 - 4, 2023 (Applicants can request a shorter duration in their application).
Role description: The placement will be tailored dependent on the skillset of the applicant. It could be having their own class, implementing intervention programs, RFF or opportunities to explore and lead whole school programs relating to our school priority areas.
Additional commitments: Participation in extra-curricular activities based on interest is welcomed
Desired candidate expertise:
- Approval to teach K-6
- Highly developed interpersonal skills with the capacity to work collaboratively in a team and build positive relationships with all members of the school community.
- Demonstrated success in developing and delivering high quality, differentiated teaching and learning programs with an emphasis on student engagement.
- Knowledge of and the ability to implement the Department's Aboriginal education policy to enhance quality outcomes for all Aboriginal students.
- Commitment to student wellbeing
Teacher housing may be available, there are limited private rentals.
Please note: Teacher Housing availability can depend upon a variety of factors, including vacancy status and potential priority offers to other staff with full time rural appointments. Teacher Housing Authority (THA) may not be able to confirm allocation of properties until all applications have been received and processed. Applicants are encouraged to discuss property availability directly with THA. Participants of the Rural Experience Program are not eligible for the Housing Rental Subsidy but may rent a property (at market value) through the THA if available.
Finley Public School is situated on traditional Aboriginal land in the Southern Riverina of New South Wales. Our school has an enrolment of 155 students in 2022, in 7 classes. The school provides a caring and nurturing environment for students where teachers and students have high expectations for success and work together to support students to fulfil their potential in all areas of learning and in life.
The student population is drawn from the township of Finley and local farming areas nearby. The school is situated in the township of Finley and has strong support from past students and parents, with many past students now parents or grandparents of the children at school. Finley has a population of approximately 2500 people. The school is an integral part of the local community.
Teaching, administration and support staff are passionate and dedicated in their roles. They are integrated within the wider community, building strong partnerships and a drive for success. Staff have been on a journey of school improvement to develop professional networks, implement support and targeted professional learning for staff. Staff work together to design and implement teaching and learning programs, with a focus on formative assessment, visible learning, critical thinking and creativity.
The school offers personalised learning, guided by the Learning and Support Team. There is a focus on improvement in literacy and numeracy as the foundations of learning and building blocks to future success. Students are challenged to achieve their personal best and are offered extension learning experiences in drama, debating, creative arts, sport, computers and robotics and music.
Our community has a small number of shops such as an IGA and Bakery with some cafes. For grocery shopping it is best to travel to Cobram, which is across the Victorian border located 32km away or Deniliquin which is 61km. Woolworths do deliver to Finley from Cobram.
How to apply for this placement
- Refer to the Guide to Applying as you prepare your application
- Complete the online application form and answer the placement questions:
- What motivated you to apply for the program in general and specifically this placement? (max 600 words)
- What skills and experiences can you bring to the Rural Experience School? Why would you be a good fit for this placement (max 600 words)
- Attach the required documentation to your application:
- Endorsement of Application form (saved as a PDF)
- Resume / CV (maximum 2 pages as a PDF)