Burke Ward Public School
General program enquiries (including application status updates) should be directed to the Rural Experience Program team: email@example.com or phone 02 7814 3820
Eligibility criteria for this placement:
- Permanent employees who hold a substantive position as a teacher and meet the eligibility requirements in the Rural Experience Guidelines may apply for this placement.
- Non-permanent employees (those on a temporary engagement / contract and casual employees) who meet the eligibility requirements in the Rural Experience Guidelines may apply for this placement.
Terms 1 - 4, 2023 (Applicants can request a shorter duration in their application).
Role description: The placement will be tailored dependent on the skillset of the applicant. It could be having their own class, implementing intervention programs, RFF or opportunities to explore and lead whole school programs relating to our school priority areas as outlined in our 2022 – 2025 Strategic Improvement plan.
Additional commitments: Participation in extra-curricular activities based on interest is welcomed. BWPS has a proud tradition of a drum and fife band, dance groups and choir and is well-known for our sporting endeavours.
Desired candidate expertise:
- Approval to teach K-6
- Highly developed interpersonal skills with the capacity to work collaboratively in a team and build positive relationships with all members of the school community.
- Demonstrated success in developing and delivering high quality, differentiated teaching and learning programs.
- Knowledge of and the ability to implement the department’s Aboriginal education policy to enhance quality outcomes for all Aboriginal students.
- Commitment to student wellbeing
There are a number of real estate agencies in Broken Hill that manage rentals. There are also two caravan parks that hire out cabins. Assistance can be provided by the school to help source accommodation. Teacher Housing may be available.
Please note: Teacher Housing availability can depend upon a variety of factors, including vacancy status and potential priority offers to other staff with full time rural appointments. Teacher Housing Authority (THA) may not be able to confirm allocation of properties until all applications have been received and processed. Applicants are encouraged to discuss property availability directly with THA. Participants of the Rural Experience Program are not eligible for the Housing Rental Subsidy but may rent a property (at market value) through the THA if available.
Burke Ward Public School is one of six local primary schools in Broken Hill. The school has approximately 200 students from kinder to year six with our core values of ‘respect, responsibility and honesty’ underpinning our expectations for students and staff.
The school has a mix of staff, has 9 mainstream classes, two multi-category classes and the town’s primary tutorial centre class.
28% of the school’s students are from an Aboriginal background and the school learns Paakantji language and works closely with our Aboriginal Education Officer to promote cultural safety within our school.
Burkie pride is evident within the community, with generations of families proudly wearing black and red. We have a proud social media presence on Facebook and Twitter showcasing our wonderful students and staff.
Broken Hill has a population of approximately 18,000 people with the nearest major centres being Mildura (300km) and Adelaide (500km). It is serviced by two major shopping centres as well as a main street precinct. A number of sporting and other clubs cater for the interests of people of all ages.
Broken Hill is a great place to live with stunning sunsets and a vibrant, welcoming community.
How to apply for this placement
- Refer to the Guide to Applying as you prepare your application
- Complete the online application form and answer the placement questions:
- What motivated you to apply for the program in general and specifically this placement? (max 600 words)
- What skills and experiences can you bring to the Rural Experience School? Why would you be a good fit for this placement (max 600 words)
- Attach the required documentation to your application:
- Endorsement of Application form (saved as a PDF)
- Resume / CV (maximum 2 pages as a PDF)