Barham High School
General program enquiries (including application status updates) should be directed to the Rural Experience Program team: firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 02 7814 3820
Eligibility criteria for this placement:
- Permanent employees who hold a substantive position as a Head Teacher and meet the eligibility requirements in the Rural Experience Guidelines may apply for this placement.
Terms 1 - 4, 2023 (Applicants can request a shorter duration in their application).
Role description: The teaching load of the placement will be negotiated with the successful applicant to include areas of applicant interest and school need.
The successful applicant will:
- build and maintain a whole school wellbeing culture, where all students are known, valued and cared for.
- work with our Learning Support Team to advocate on behalf of parents and students.
- be required to model best practice in the classroom.
- be encouraged to develop innovative approaches to learning that address the educational and social aspirations of all students.
Extra-curricular responsibilities may be negotiated.
Desired candidate expertise:
- Proven leadership capacity in providing whole school teaching, learning and student wellbeing programs.
- Outstanding interpersonal, communication and administrative skills to manage student wellbeing.
- Proven capacity to evaluate the effectiveness of teaching and learning practices, including analysis of student engagement to plan for ongoing improvement in student attendance, wellbeing and learning.
Teacher housing may be available in town. Limited private rental is available in Barham but nearby towns 25-30km away have plenty of private rental.
Please note: Teacher Housing availability can depend upon a variety of factors, including vacancy status and potential priority offers to other staff with full time rural appointments. Teacher Housing Authority (THA) may not be able to confirm allocation of properties until all applications have been received and processed. Applicants are encouraged to discuss property availability directly with THA. Participants of the Rural Experience Program are not eligible for the Housing Rental Subsidy but may rent a property (at market value) through the THA if available.
Barham High School is a small rural school located in the Riverside towns of Barham-Koondrook on the Murray River. The school has a student population around 150 and we pride ourselves that every student is known and cared for.
Barham High School is well resourced with every learning space incorporating interactive Main Learning Displays for lesson delivery. The school has three science laboratories with two having received an upgrade in 2020 and 2021. Technology has been a major focus for the school, and it is readily available for our students with two computer labs with 50 desktop computers and over 100 laptops to be used for our students. We have modern facilities, including a large 5 acre, productive agricultural farm on campus.
The Barham Community is vey supportive of the school and is warm and inviting to visitors. The town Is located 90km from Deniliquin on the NSW side of the border but on the Victorian side, The towns of Swan Hill and Echuca are within an hours drive, Bendigo is an hour forty minutes and the centre of Melbourne is a three and a half hour easy drive.
The town experiences a large amount of eco-tourism throughout the year with the local natural waterways and forests being a major attracting feature.
How to apply for this placement
- Refer to the Guide to Applying as you prepare your application
- Complete the online application form and answer the placement questions:
- What motivated you to apply for the program in general and specifically this placement? (max 600 words)
- What skills and experiences can you bring to the Rural Experience School? Why would you be a good fit for this placement (max 600 words)
- Attach the required documentation to your application:
- Endorsement of Application form (saved as a PDF)
- Resume / CV (maximum 2 pages as a PDF)