The NSW Department of Education is expanding the Grow Your Own program to include a new localised employment-based teacher training pathway, the Grow Your Own - Local Teacher Pipeline. The program will support community members in four high-demand locations to kick-start their teaching career.
Program participants will gain valuable early experience in the classroom, working in local NSW public secondary schools as educational paraprofessionals whilst completing their teaching qualification. Upon successful completion of studies, participants will be offered a permanent teaching role within a NSW public school in an agreed location.
The program will be piloted in the following high-demand locations:
- Dubbo and surrounds
- Western and South-Western Sydney
- the Murray region
Based on prior qualifications and experience, three entry pathways will be available:
Participants will be supported to undertake an educational undergraduate bachelor's degree.
Participants with a recognised undergraduate bachelor's degree in a specified subect area will be supported to undertake a Master of Teaching (Secondary).
Industry Experience Pathway
Academics and industry professionals with at least three years of industry experience in the last 10 years will be supported to undertake an Initial Teacher Education (ITE) degree.
- annual training allowance paid over the duration of the program, up to $30,000
- $30,000 retention incentive for Industry Experience Pathway recipients only
- wrap around study support provided by the university
- study a bachelor's degree, master's degree or combined bachelor's and master's degree
- flexible delivery with online study available
Employment whilst studying
- employment as an educational paraprofessional in a NSW public secondary school, at least one day per week
- opportunity to build professional connections and gain hands on work experience
- receive a permanent position in a NSW public secondary school upon successful completion of your studies
Subscribe to be notified when new program information becomes available.
If you have any further questions, please contact the program team via firstname.lastname@example.org.