The NSW Department of Education is expanding the Grow Your Own Program to include a new localised employment-based teacher training pathway, the Grow Your Own - Local Teacher Pipeline. This pathway will support community members in four high-demand locations to kick-start their teaching career.
Program participants will gain valuable early experience in the classroom, working in local NSW public secondary schools as educational paraprofessionals whilst completing their teaching qualification. Upon successful completion of studies, participants will be offered a permanent teaching position within a NSW public school in an agreed location.
The program will be piloted in the following locations:
- Dubbo and surrounds
- Western and South-Western Sydney
- the Murray region
Based on prior qualifications and experience, three entry pathways are available:
Participants will be supported to undertake an undergraduate bachelor's degree followed by an Initial Teacher Education (ITE) degree.
Participants with a recognised undergraduate bachelor's degree in a specified subect area will be supported to undertake a Master of Teaching (Secondary).
Industry Experience Pathway
Academics and industry professionals with a recognised undergraduate degree in a high-demand subject area and at least three years of industry experience in the last 10 years will be supported to undertake an Initial Teacher Education (ITE) degree.
- training allowance of up to $30,000
- $30,000 retention incentive for Industry Experience Pathway recipients only
- wrap around study support provided by the university
- study a combined bachelor's and master's degree or master's degree at Charles Sturt University or Western Sydney University
- flexible delivery with online study available
- bridging courses available to boost foundational skills
Employment whilst studying
- employment as an educational paraprofessional in a NSW public secondary school, one day per week
- opportunity to build professional connections and gain hands on experience
- receive a permanent position in a NSW public secondary school upon successful completion of studies
Online information session
To learn more about the Grow Your Own - Local Teacher Pipeline Program, view the information session recording below hosted by the NSW Department of Education and university partners.
Subscribe to be notified when new program information becomes available.