Albury is a major regional city in southern NSW, situated on the northern side of the historic Murray River. It is considered a twin city with Wodonga, that sits on the southern side of the river and the Victorian side of the border.
The Albury area is well known for outdoor adventure with swimming, kayaking and cycling all popular pastimes by the river and its waterways. With the Snowy Mountains and Rutherglen regions nearby, it's a haven for those who enjoy cafes and restaurants serving local produce. Culture and arts is also thriving, with the Murray Art Museum (MAMA) considered one of the best regional galleries in Australia.
Offering a diverse range of schools and strong career opportunities, Albury may be the ideal destination for those looking to connect with nature while not wanting to leave behind the services, culture and cuisine of a larger metro area.
Living and working in the Albury area
Albury has excellent transport connections to Sydney, Victoria, regional NSW and beyond.
Google Maps: Albury, NSW.
Albury lies on the NSW side of the state border with Victoria, approximately 550km from Sydney (five and a half hour drive) and 325km from Melbourne (three and a half hour drive).
Just off the Hume Highway, several bus lines including Firefly Express Bus Services, Greyhound Australia and Cann’s Bus Line operate regular services between Albury and Sydney, Melbourne, Canberra and several regional centres.
- NSW Trainlink operates one service per day between Albury and Sydney in each direction (seven and a half hours) and one service per day between Albury and Melbourne (3hours 20min).
- V/Line operates four services per day between Albury and Melbourne in each direction (3hours 50min).
Albury Airport has direct regular connections to and from Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and seasonal flights to and from Adelaide with carriers Qantaslink, Virgin Australia and Regional Express.
Schools in this area are dedicated to the delivery of quality learning and play a key role in the local community.
* Selected rural and remote NSW public schools receive additional benefits and incentives.
Key attractions in the Albury area include:
To learn more about local sporting facilities, housing, further education and entertainment venues, view the below links:
- Albury offers excellent coverage across the Telstra, Optus and Vodafone mobile and fibreoptic networks.
- Check availability of NBN at your address here.
Albury offers a range of shopping precincts to suit your needs, from large department stores to outdoor boutiques focused around Dean Street.
With the best locally sourced food and drink, you'll find there's no shortage of dining options in the Albury area:
Albury has a wide range of health services and medical facilities:
For more information please contact EdConnect.
- Existing employees of the department, phone 1300 32 32 32 (select option 3) or log an online enquiry.
- New applicants to the department, phone 1300 30 04 98.
Subscribe to be notified about program updates in regional NSW.
Image credit: Destination NSW