High school enrolment
Every child is entitled to be enrolled at the government school that is designated for the intake area within which the child’s home is situated and that the child is eligible to attend.
High schools can assist with enrolment inquiries throughout the year.
During the enrolment process advise the principal of any special circumstances, allergies, health or medical conditions affecting the student.
Year 7 enrolments
Choosing a high school is an important decision. For more information about secondary school options, visit high schools.
- Visit temporary residents program for an assessment of eligibility and forms to complete.
- Contact your local school to obtain and submit an expression of interest – Year 7
- The high school will contact you with further information.
- Complete the expression of interest form available in Moving into Year 7 in a NSW government school in 2019 (PDF 5643.69 KB). Submit the expression of interest to your current public primary school – they will send it to your chosen high school, or submit the expression of interest to your chosen high school.
- Selective high school key dates to assist parents/carers making application for their children into selective high schools.
- The high school may conduct a risk assessment and will contact you with further information.
Years 8 to 12 enrolments
Parents of students in Years 8 to 12 should contact the high school to discuss your child's potential enrolment and required procedures, including a possible risk assessment.
- Contact the temporary residents program for an assessment of eligibility and forms to complete.
- Contact the high school to make an appointment to discuss your child's potential enrolment.
Children with disability or special learning needs
The department provides a range of enrolment and support options for children with disability or special learning needs. This includes additional support for children in their local school as well as specialist support classes located in some regular schools and in schools for specific purposes (SSPs or special schools).
Discuss additional support in your child’s local school as well as support class and SSP placement with the principal of your local school.
For more information or to discuss assessment of your child’s needs, call the educational services team on 131 536.
Complete the application to enrol (PDF 579KB) for NSW public schools Kindergarten to Year 12. Schools will advise the outcome of your application.
Application forms must be completed in English. However, a translated application to enrol may help you to fill out the form in English.
To learn more about information collected, visit general information.