Licensed trades

To work in some trades in NSW, you must be licenced. The Commissioner does not issue licences or qualifications, only a Certificate of Proficiency. You will need to contact the relevant trade organisations to obtain a license.

Do I need a trade license?

A number of trade vocations require licences or registration in NSW. This is administered by the relevant licensing authority or registration body. The Certificate of Proficiency issued by the Commissioner is not a substitute for this and is not a guarantee that you will receive the required licence or registration.

Aircraft trades

Automotive, building, construction, electrical, plumbing and refridgeration/air-conditioning trades

Related information

  • Trades Recognition Australia - Trades Recognition Australia (TRA) is a skills assessment service provider specialising in assessments for people with trade skills gained overseas or in Australia, for the purpose of migration and skills recognition.
  • Working in Australia - Information on how to apply for work visas, information on skilled occupations in Australia, licensing and registration requirement and regional employment.
  • Federal Department of Education, Skills and Employment - Information about recognition of overseas qualifications in Australia.
  • Translation Services - Multicultural NSW Language Services provides comprehensive interpreting and translation services in 104 languages and dialects.


  • Skills
  • VET


  • VET

Business Unit:

  • Training Services NSW
Return to top of page Back to top