Direction and guidance for the operation of the department’s motor vehicle fleet.
Changes since previous version
2021 Mar - Title: Departmental motor vehicle best practice guide replaced by motor vehicles operational guidelines website as a related document.
- Policy statement
- The Department operates a motor vehicle fleet in accordance with the government’s Travel and Transport policy and Motor Vehicle Guidelines. The policy and guidelines provide a framework for the acquisition, use and management of motor vehicles by NSW government agencies.
- Motor vehicles are used to:
- meet the essential conveyance needs of departmental officers, including contractors, in the performance of their duties where this is the most economical means of transport
- support the transport need of schools.
- Audience and applicability
- This policy applies to all Department of Education staff including contractors that maintain, control or drive departmental vehicles.
- This policy applies to motor vehicles owned or leased by corporate offices and schools.
- The motor vehicle operational guidelines covers policy requirements relating to motor vehicles including but not limited to, use of vehicles, operational procedures, servicing, accidents and damage, acquisition and disposal, fringe benefits tax, and garaging. The guidelines also cover requirements for the use of private motor vehicles on official business.
- This policy does not apply to items of plant and equipment that are not required to be registered under NSW road rules.
- Responsibilities and delegations
- The Director, Shared Services Finance, is responsible for the overarching management of the department’s motor vehicle fleet and for ensuring currency of this policy and the departmental motor vehicle operational guidelines published on the department's intranet site.
- Delegations for the approval of new or replacement vehicles are also published on the department’s intranet site.
- Monitoring and review
- This policy and the motor vehicle operational guidelines are reviewed and modified in accordance with changes to the government’s Travel and Transport policy and departmental operational requirements.
- The Executive Director, Shared Services monitors the implementation of this policy, regularly reviews its contents to ensure relevance and accuracy, and updates it as needed.
Director, Shared Services Finance
1300 32 32 32