Head Teacher Eligibility Requirements
This policy outlines the relevant academic qualifications teachers and head teachers must meet when applying for an advertised head teacher position in high or central schools.
Changes since previous version
2020 Apr 30 - updated contact details.
PD-2005-0275/V02 - references revised Selection Panel Procedures for School Teachers 2008 and Promotion and Transfer Procedures for School Teachers 2008.
This policy contains the procedural documents Eligibility Requirements for Head Teacher Positions in NSW Government Schools 2004 and Current Requirements for Head Teachers, Teachers Handbook 1990.
- Policy statement
- The NSW Department of Education, NSW Secondary Principals' Council and NSW Teachers Federation recognise the importance of curriculum head teachers and educational support head teachers having relevant academic qualifications to enhance their capacity to provide credible educational leadership.
- Audience and applicability
- The Head Teacher Eligibility Requirements Policy applies to all teachers and head teachers who apply for an advertised head teacher position in high or central schools.
- Head teachers are employed under the Teaching Service Act 1980. Procedures for the selection of head teachers are contained in Promotion and Transfer Procedures for School Teachers 2012 and the Selection Panel Procedures for School Teachers 2012.
- Responsibilities and delegations
- It is the responsibility of Staffing Services when filling head teacher positions to ensure that the person offered the position meets the eligibility requirements for head teachers as outlined in this policy and accompanying implementation documents.
- The Head Teacher Qualifications Committee is responsible for the assessment of equivalence in cases where applicants for head teacher positions do not satisfy the eligibility requirements as outlined in the general principles set out in the implementation documents. The Head Teacher Qualifications Committee will then make recommendations to the Director, Staffing Services.
- Monitoring and review
- The Executive Director, Human Resources, monitors the implementation of this policy, regularly reviews its contents to ensure relevance and accuracy, and updates it as needed.
Senior Advisor, Teacher Approval, Human Resources
02 7814 1851