New Wee Waa High school to shine a light on Gomeroi culture
A new centre to celebrate local Aboriginal culture, signage featuring Gomeroi language and memorial walk to recognise the work of the school’s first Aboriginal Education Officers are among the features to be included in the redevelopment of Wee Waa High School.
29 November 2022
Wee Waa is located on Gomeroi Country about 40km west of Narrabri in the New England region.
The school’s major redevelopment program includes the construction of new learning spaces, a library, multi-purpose hall, an agricultural and environment centre and sports fields.
Since the project’s inception, School Infrastructure NSW fostered a relationship with the Wee Waa Local Aboriginal Land Council (WWLALC) and Aboriginal Education Consultative Group (AECG) to ensure that the high school’s redevelopment considers the needs and aspirations of the local Aboriginal community. The WWLALC and AECG have provided input throughout the project.
Guided by the principles of the NSW Government’s Connecting with Country framework, a series of workshops were held with Wee Waa High School and Primary School students, representatives from the local Gomeroi community and other interested community members. The workshops sought to explore the strength, diversity and richness of Gomeroi culture and how the Connection with Country should be respected, valued and embedded throughout the design of the new high school.
Construction work is expected to commence in late November, with completion due in 2023, subject to weather.
The ‘Connecting with Country’ features of the new Wee Waa High School include:
- an Aboriginal Cultural Centre where local artefacts will be housed
- a large scale artwork around the main entry stairs
- symbols and colours reflecting local food sources and strong community links
- a memorial walk to recognise the work of the first Aboriginal Education Officers at the school
- a new yarning circle
- Gomeroi language and stories weaved into wayfinding signs and the names of buildings
- landscaping with native plants guided by the local Aboriginal community and school.
Visit the Wee Waa High School redevelopment project page for more information about the project and outcomes of the Connecting with Country workshops.